Robert Emmetts 1-25 St Gabriel's 3-17

Robert Emmetts overcame St Gabriel's after 100+ minutes of hurling on a scoreline of 1-25 to 3-17 at McGovern Park in Ruislip.

It was a hotly contested affair where tempers boiled over more than once, in which four red cards were dispensed and the match referee was shoved to the ground at one point. 

The game started at a lightning pace with both teams flying out the gate and St Gabriel's notched the first score of the match through Niall Eames. Ben Conroy levelled almost immediately afterwards for the Emmett's.

The fast start was capped with the first goal of the game from Robert Emmetts after Gabriels failed to clear their goalmouth and Benny McCarry scrambled the ball home.

Things quickly got worse for the men from Wembley when Gabriels full-back Tom Higgins saw red for catching Benny McCarry around the face.

McCarry was left needing treatment and was soon replaced by blood sub Denny O'Regan.

The loss of a man and the concession of an early goal could have rattled St Gabriels but, after adding a point through Stephen Lohan, they were soon celebrating their first goal of the game which arrived courtesy of Paddy Naughton.

The wing-forward was given ample space to bury the ball to the net after reacting quicker than Emmetts keeper Damian Quinn.

Naughton grabbed his second goal minutes later, lashing the ball into the top corner to establish a five-point lead for St Gabriels. 

It got better for Gabriels as they notched a third goal through Dan Glynn just before half-time. The lead stood at six-points (3-06 to 1-06) after the opening period. 

The second-half was when things reached fever pitch. With the game slipping away from them, Ben Conroy rode to the rescue for Emmets, hitting the first four points of the second period.

The sides were reduced to 14 and 13 men respectively following a fracas in midfield as tempers boiled over. 

Tadgh Healy and Dave Nolan both received their marching orders, the latter only departing the field after he had pushed the referee to the ground. It was an intemperate reaction to receiving a red card which could come back to haunt the player.  

Conroy got the lion’s share of the points for his side as they reached for glory while Dan Glynn landed St Gabriels' final point of the half to ensure the sides couldn’t be separated at the full-time whistle. 

In extra-time, the teams again matched each other point for point.

Conroy led the Emmets charge, aided by Cian Lordan and Killian Burke. Glynn and Andrew Curtin provided the response and, remarkably, the teams remained deadlocked at the end of extra-time. 

Another 20 minute period of extra-time would be required. 

Emmetts finally took control of the game, their greater fitness perhaps beginning to tell as cramp began to afflict both teams. Sean Lordan was to the fore, notching an important score. 

With Emmets leading by the minimum deep in injury time, Glynn had the chance to level the game but his free drifted wide to the delight and relief of the Emmetts support.

Emmets also finished with 13 men as Paddy McNaughton was shown the line but Bill Walsh sealed their  Robert Emmetts eighth London Senior Hurling title in the closing seconds of the match to round off a marathon of hurling.

St Gabriel's: E Kelly (0-1), R Royston, C Helebert , T Higgins, B Costello, N Rogers (0-1), N Eames(0-2) , O Royston, D Nolan (0-2), P Butler, S Lohan (0-2), P Naughton (2-0), B Hickey (0-1), S Lawless (0-1), D Glynn (1-4).

Subs: P Mullally, C Thornton, P Horan, G Maher, D Skehill, S Egan, D O’Gorman, R O’Sullivan, L Hands, A Curtin (0-2), L Murphy, G Hennelly.

Robert Emmetts: D Quinn, D Kinney, P McNaughton (0-1), C Walsh, K Burke (0-3), D McMullan, J McCarthy, J Kennedy (0-2), T Healy, B Conroy (0-12), C Kerr, K Morrissey, C Lordan (0-3), B McCarry (1-2), S Lordan (0-1).

Subs: M Burns, S Griffey, N Clancy, A O’Leary C Campion, D O’Regan, S Madigan, L O’Malley, K Meaney, W Holohan, B Walsh (0-1).