Newcastle West 1-11 Oola 0-8

Rampant Newcastle West ended their four year wait for the Fr Casey Cup to overcome Oola in a one-sided Limerick Senior Football Championship final at LIT Gaelic Grounds this afternoon.

Newcastle West, who last appeared in the final in 2017 when they lost to outgoing champions Adare, got off to a flying start and were six points to the good midway through the opening half.

An Iain Corbett penalty ten minutes after half-time break put the result beyond any doubt during a game in which Newcastle were certainly the better side overall despite hitting seven wides.

Oola, looking to end their 40-year title drought, faced an early Newcastle West onslaught and failed to record a point from play in the opening half.

In fact, Ian Bourke's well-worked point with 11 minutes to go proved to be Kem Downey’s charges only score from open play.

An ill-disciplined first-half from Oola, one in which Newcastle West slotted over three frees, resulted in them going in seven down at the break.

On the verge of half-time the 'Magpies’ should have found the back of the net, as a dazzling run and through ball by man of the match Iain Corbett was met by AJ O’Connor but the centre half-forward’s effort on goal was blocked just in time.

Goalkeeper Michael Qulligan Jnr failed to score the resulting ’45 but the west Limerick men weren’t finished just yet.

They won the resulting kickout and O’Connor grabbed his second point of the afternoon to give his side a comfortable lead at the break, 0-9 to 0-2.

Oola improved in the second-half but Corbett’s penalty on 40 minutes made it a mountain to climb for the east Limerick side as Newcastle West opened up an eight-point margin.

Three late Josh Ryan frees narrowed the deficit to six points but it was too little too late as Newcastle West were crowned champions for the fourth time, having previously won the senior title in 1987, 1992 and 2015.

Newcastle West: M Qulligan Jnr; M O’Keeffe, D O’Doherty, M O’Leary; W Hurley Jnr, S Hurley, S Brosnan; S Murphy, I Corbett (1-2, one penalty); B Hurley, AJ O’Connor (0-2), T Qulligan (capt.) (0-2, one free); E Hurley (0-3, two frees), M McMahon (0-1), J Lee.

Subs: D Kelly for B Hurley (48), L Woulfe for S Brosnan (56), Bryan Nix (0-1) for AJ O’Connor (58), S Kelly for T Qulligan (62)

Oola: K Nolan; E Fitzgibbon (capt.), T Hayes, F O’Grady; J Bourke, S Ryan, D O’Grady; C Ryan, D O’Donovan; E Landers, J Ryan (0-6, six frees), M O’Brien; R English (0-1, one free), P Ryan, I Bourke (0-1).

Subs: J Power for J Bourke (43), J Downey for C Ryan (43), K Bourke for R English (60).

Referee: Johnny Murphy (Ballylanders)