Rathdowney-Errill 0-17 Borris-Kilcotton 1-09

Rathdowney-Errill have been crowned Laois SHC champions for the sixth time following a hard-earned win over Borris-Kilcotton in O'Moore Park this afternoon.

Mark Kavanagh helped himself to eleven points from placed balls while Ross King hit four from play as they made up for the disappointment of losing last year's decider and won their first final since 2014. 

On a bitterly cold day, Borris-Kilcotton played with the wind in the first half and raced into an early 0-03 to 0-00 lead. 

Indeed in a scrappy affair it took Rathdowney-Errill until the 15th minute to get their first score when Mark Kavanagh landed a free.

However, by half time they were 0-06 to 0-05 ahead thanks to two more frees from Kavanagh, two from King and one from Tadhg Dowling.

As always, PJ Scully hit the bulk of the Borris-Kilcotton scores with three first-half points - Neil Foyle and Joe Campion got the other two. 

Rathdowney-Errill gave themselves some breathing space by hitting the first five points of the second half and by the 40th minute they had an 0-11 to 0-05 lead, a big enough cushion in such a low-scoring game. 

Borris-Kilcotton burst into life with an Aaron Dunphy goal in the 42nd minute and points from Scully and Foyle had them within one entering the final quarter. 

Indeed they could have been ahead only for a brilliant Damian Madden save on Dunphy. 

But Rathdowney-Errill settled themselves and hit four in a row to take control and in the end they had five points to spare. 

Rathdowney-Errill: Damian Madden; Jimmy Corrigan, Brian Campion, John Purcell; Joe Fitzpatrick, Jack Kelly, Eric Killeen; Paddy Purcell, John Keane; Tadhg Dowling (0-01), Shane Dollard, James Ryan; Mark Kavanagh (0-11, 0-11f), Ross King (0-04), Paddy McCane.

Subs: Brandon McGinley for Dowling (37), Eoin Bourke for Dollard (53-55)

Borris-Kilcotton: Eoin Fleming, Danny Fitzpatrick (0-01), Stephen Phelan, Stephen Finan; Jim Fitzpatrick, Matthew Whelan, Paddy Whelan; Conor Kilbane, Colm Stapleton; Daire Quinlan, Neil Foyle (0-02), Aaron Dunphy (1-00); Stephen Dunphy, Joe Campion (0-01), PJ Scully (0-05, 0-04f).

Subs: Emmet Jones for S Dunphy (38), Dean Carey for Quinlan (60)

Referee: Alan Doheny (Castletown)