Trillick 0-12 Errigal Ciaran 2-4

Trillick claimed their eighth Tyrone SFC title and a second in five years as they saw off Errigal Ciaran in a disappointing decider at Healy Park.

A defensive final frustrated the big crowd that turned out in expectation of a classic between two star-studded teams, but it was defenders who stole the limelight, particularly Trillick's man of the match Rory Brennan.

Trillick raced into a three point lead in as many minutes, with Ryan Gray, Lee Brennan and wing back Michael Gallagher all on target in a brisk opening.

But Errigal hit the front in dramatic circumstances in the sixth minute, goalkeeper Joe Maguire playing a short kick-out to Daire Gallagher, before being dispossessed on the return pass by teenager Odhran Robinson, who finished to an empty net.

That score failed to spark Pascal Canavan’s side, and they failed to score in the remaining 27 minutes of the half, chiefly due to their own aversion to risk and adventure.

Joe Oguz (l) and Ruairi Kelly battle for possession

At times the game was played at walking pace as Trillick held the ball up as they waited for gaps to appear in a packed Errigal defence.

In truth, it wasn't much different at the other end, and with both sides forced to shoot from distance, unable to work possession inside, a rash of wides ensued as an untidy contest seemed to be going nowhere.

The Reds did manage to tag on scores from James Garrity and Brennan, from a 48 metre free, to take a 0-5 to 1-1 lead into the interval.

Mattie Donnelly pushed into the inside line of attack, landing an early point, and adding a superb second as the St Macartan’s finished the third quarter with a 0-8 to 1-1 advantage.

Cormac Quinn ended a 40-minute scoreless spell with an Errigal point, and but as they committed more men forward, Rory Brennan rose to the challenge with magnificent defending.

With just their fourth score of the afternoon, Peter Harte brought Errigal Ciaran to within three of their opponents, but Trillick stepped it up again, with Brennan and Damian Kelly pushing them further clear.

And they almost had a goal when Donnelly sent Liam Gray in, but his effort was cleared off the line by Damian McDermott, with Brennan nailing the resultant ’45 for a five points lead with seven minutes to play.

Peter Harte netted a stoppage time penalty for an Errigal consolation.

Trillick: J Maguire; S O’Donnell, R Kelly, D Kelly (0-01); M Gallagher (0-01), D Gallagher, R Brennan; R Donnelly (0-01), G McCarron; M Donnelly (0-02), N Donnelly (0-01), R Gray (0-01); L Gray, L Brennan (0-04, 2f, 1 ’45), J Garrity.

Subs: N Gormley for N Donnelly (58), D McQuaid for M Gallagher (64)

Errigal Ciaran: D McAnenly; Ciaran Quinn, A McCrory, Cormac Quinn (0-01); S Tierney, N Kelly, P O’Hanlon; B McDonnell, E Kelly, P McAnenly, P Harte (1-03, 1-0 pen 1f, 1 ’45), R McRory; O Robinson (1-00), Darren Canavan, M Kavanagh.

Subs: J Oguz for Robinson (h-t), D McDermott for O’Hanlon (38), Darragh Canavan for Darren Canavan (40), T Canavan for E Kelly (45), S McRory for R McRory (52), T Colhoun for Tierney (57)

Referee: Eamonn McHugh (Aghyaran)