Galway are just an hour away from a three-in-a-row of Electric Ireland All-Ireland minor hurling titles after powering through to next month's final.

Brian Hanley's side will bid for history when they play Kilkenny on August 18 in what will be a repeat of their quarter-final group stage game, which Galway won.

Galway also beat Clare in the round-robin campaign to reach the last four and hit the ground running here, running up an early five-point lead and maintaining the upper hand throughout.

Sean McDonagh had a strong game for the holders and the free-taker helped himself to 0-12.

Michael Egan saves a shot from David Cantwell

The only negative for the victors was the straight red card picked up by centre-back Ian McGlynn in the 38th minute which rules him out of the final.

Wexford lost two players, full-back Kyle Scallan and centre-back Cian Molloy, to straight red card dismissals also following a fracas deep into stoppage time.

Galway full-forward Shane Morgan received a concerning injury during that incident and required medical attention for several minutes before being taken off the field on a stretcher.

Wexford returned to Croke Park and the scene of last month's Leinster final triumph, their first provincial title since 1985.

AJ Redmond fired 1-11 on that occasion but in line with the team generally, found it far more difficult to impose himself on this occasion and struck four first-half wides.

In truth, it wasn't a classic contest with Galway edging the first-half 0-10 to 0-03 and six of the westerners' scores coming from placed balls in that period.

McDonagh converted all of those and finished the half with seven points in total after an impressive display.

Alex Connaire gets away from Dylan Whelan

Alex Connaire was also on the mark with two early points for Galway as they put themselves in a winning position with 30 minutes to play.

Redmond improved in the second-half and converted four frees in a row but Galway never looked in trouble and held a healthy advantage throughout.

They led by 0-13 to 0-4 when they were reduced to 14 following an off the ball incident involving McGlynn and Wexford's Luke Kavanagh, the latter booked for his part in the flash-point.

Wexford sought to capitalise on their extra numbers and conjured a series of goal chances but David Cantwell, Cian Molloy and Richie Lawlor were all unable to rattle the net.

The best Wexford could do was reduce the gap to seven points following Cantwell's 58th minute point.

Galway's response was to finish with scores from McDonagh and substitute Paddy Cummins to win with plenty to spare and move within touching distance of the three-in-a-row.

Galway: Michael Egan; Adam Nolan, Eoin Lawless, Christy Brennan; Enda Collins, Ian McGlynn, John Cooney; Liam Leen, Alex Connaire (0-02); Tiernan Killeen (0-02), Sean McDonagh (0-12, 0-09f), Colm Cunningham (0-01); Greg Thomas (0-01), Shane Morgan, Ruben Davitt.

Subs: Gavin Lee (0-01) for Davitt 40, Diarmuid O'Leary for Kirwan (48), Paddy Cummins (0-01) for Leen (51), Eanna Davoren for Collins (55), Oisin Slevin for Killeen (63).

Wexford: Cian Byrne; Joe Conroy, Kyle Scallan, Dylan Whelan; Justin Moran, Cian Molloy, David Codd; Jack Kirwan, Luke Kavanagh (0-01); Josh Shiel (0-01), Paddy Whitty, Dylan O'Neill; AJ Redmond (0-05, 0-05f), David Cantwell (0-02), Richie Lawlor (0-01).

Subs: Cian Byrne (0-01) for O'Neill (h/t), Cian Browne for Whitty (h/t), Conor Foley for Shiel (46), Sean O'Hanlon for Cunninhgam (48), Oisin Pepper for Redmond (56).

Referee: Colm Cunning (Antrim).