Tyrone 4-13 Derry 1-10 

Tyrone recovered from a difficult start to triumph in the Ulster U20 Football championship final at the Athletic Grounds, routing holders Derry with a spectacular four goal blitz. 

The Red Hands struck two devastating blows in the first half, and two more early in the second as they routed the champions with a mix of tenacity, creativity and clinical finishing.  

The Oak Leafs, who got off to a positive start, had no answer to the power their opponents brought to the contes, played out in front of a crowd of 5,743 at the Armagh city venue. 

Derry eased ahead with a couple of early points from Mark McGrogan, and with Padraig McGrogan fetching with style around the middle. 

Paul Cassidy eased them three ahead, before McGrogan landed his third as early as the sixth minute. 

But Joe Oguz gave Tyrone a real ball-winning presence around the middle, and the creativity of Darragh Canavan set up scores for Conall Grimes and Sean Og McAleer. 

But Tiarnan McHugh set the game alight with a brilliant 14th minute goal, cutting in from the right to smash an unstoppable angled shot past Lorcan Quinn. 

Masterful defending from centre back Padraig McGrogan frustrated the Red Hands as they tried to move forward through raiding wing back Grimes. 

Tyrone played themselves back into contention, Canavan hitting a delightful solo score after Tiarnan Quinn had converted a '45. 

And it was Canavan who levelled with another gem reminiscent of the best from his famous father Peter. 

Tyrone's revival was as swift as it was spectacular, with James Garrity sending them into a three points lead with an expertly executed 25th minute penalty. 

Seán Óg McAleer of celebrates his goal

And they turned the screw in stoppage time when McAleer netted from the rebound after Oran Hartin had saved from Joe Oguz, Tyrone ahead by 2-9 to 1-5 at the turnaround. 

And they banged in a third goal just 16 seconds into the second half, midfielder Oguz connecting with McAleer’s pass to finish the ball to the net for a commanding ten points lead. 

The Red Hands were in dreamland five minutes later when full back Conor Quinn made a surging run forward to get on the end of a Grimes assist to fire in a fourth three-pointer for a 12 points advantage. 

The task facing Derry was a daunting one, and while McCarron brought his tally to three, he was soon forced off injured. 

Michael Conroy came off the bench to add a couple more to Tyrone’s mounting tally, and the rout was complete as they closed it out comfortably.

Tyrone: L Quinn (0-01, ’45); A Clarke, C Quinn (1-00), P Mullan; C Grimes (00-1), A Fox, C Devlin; R Gormley, J Oguz (1-00); P Og McCartan, D Canavan (00-2), M McKearney; J Garrity (1-00, pen), S Og McAleer (1-02), T Quinn (0-04, 2f, 1 ’45).

Subs: D McGuigan for Grimes (36), M Conroy (0-03, 1f) for T Quinn (43), E Jordan for McCartan (48), C Goodwin for Devlin (51), O Mallon for Canavan (53), R Jones for Garrity (BC 55)

Derry: O Hartin; O McGill, C McCluskey, S McKeever; D Cassidy, P McGrogan, C McShane (0-01); D Rafferty, K Friel; F Bradley, T McHugh (1-00), S McErlain; B McCarron (0-03, 2f), M McGrogan (0-05, 3f), P Cassidy (0-01).

Subs: A Doherty for P Cassidy (13), O McWilliams for Friel (h-t), M O’Neill for McGill (h-t), E Doherty for McCarron (40), J McAtamney for McHugh (43), J Diamond for O’Neill (53),

Referee: P Faloon (Down).