Tipperary set-up an All Ireland semi-final meeting with Wexford but Laois lost little in defeat in this hurling quarter final at Croke Park on Sunday.

First half goals from Jason Forde (penalty) and Seamus Callanan looked to have set Tipp on their way to a comfortable victory but Laois hung in gamely, just four points a drift at half time.

However, the dismissal of Aaron Dunphy for a straight red card offence early in the second half killed off any chance of an upset with Tipperary easing to a ten point win, despite finishing the game with fourteen men also with sub Michael Breen set off late on for two yellow cards. 

Boyed by a vocal support, Laois started brightly with Mark Kavanagh opening the scoring with a second minute free, cancelled out by Jason Forde's first placed ball for Tipp. Twice more Laois nudged in front with points from Aaron & Willie Dunphy and a second Kavanagh free to lead 0-4 to 0-2 after the eight minutes.

However, Tipp always looked threatening close to goal and moments after Jason Forde saw a goal chance flash just wide, he won a penalty two minutes later and he converted with conviction to edge Tipp in front.

Tipp's second goal came on 16th minutes with a sublime pass from Noel McGrath to Seamus Callanan who finished to the net for his sixth championship goal of the summer.

Laois were starting to be over-ran with Ger Browne, Alan Flynn and Callanan adding goal scores while Enda Rowland was brave in denying John McGrath a goal in the 22nd minute while John Lennon had to clear a Callanan shot off the line four minutes later.

Séamus Callanan tries to evade Jack Kelly and Ryan Mullaney of Laois

However, Laois weathered the storm and ended the half on a high when Ross King broke through the challenge of Brendan Maher to fire to the net on 34 minutes as the Leinster men cut the deficit to 2-10 to 1-9 at half time.

Forde stretched the lead within seconds of the restart when Laois were hit with a fatal blow with Aaron Dunphy dismissed following an off the ball incident with Tipperary’s Padraic Maher.

However, Tipp failed to build on the numerical advantage as Laois really took it to the Munster man with Mark Kavanagh excellent from placed balls as was wing back Jack Kelly with two points from play.

Tipperary rarely threatened a goal after the break but there were good points from Noel McGrath, John McGrath, Ronan Maher, sub Barry Heffernan while Jason Forde top scored with 1-12.

Tipperary: Brian Hogan; Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Brendan Maher; Alan Flynn, Padraic Maher (0-1), Ronan Maher (0-2); Noel McGrath (0-3), Ger Browne (0-2); Dan McCormack, John O’Dwyer, Niall O’Meara; John McGrath (0-1), Seamus Callanan (1-2), Jason Forde (1-12, 1-0 pen, 0-9f, 0-1 65).

Subs: Michael Breen for Flynn (48); Mark Kehoe for O’Dwyer (54); Jerome Cahill for Browne (57); Barry Heffernan (0-1) for Barry (62); Jake Morris for O’Meara (67); Sean O’Brien for Barrett (70+3-70+4 blood).

Laois: Enda Rowland; Lee Cleere, Matthew Whelan, Joe Phelan; John Lennon (0-1); Ryan Mullaney, Jack Kelly (0-2), Padraig Delaney; Willie Dunphy (0-1), Paddy Purcell (0-1); Mark Kavanagh (0-11f), Charles Dwyer, Eanna Lyons, Ross King (1-0); Aaron Dunphy (0-2).

Subs: Eric Killeen for Phelan (HT); Stephen Maher for Dwyer (44); Conor Phelan for Lyons (58); Stephen Bergin for W Dunphy (60 inj); Eoin Gaughan for Lennon (67).

Referee: Colm Lyons (Cork).