Meath 1-12 Offaly 0-12

Cian McBride's first-minute goal for Meath ultimately separated the sides in Navan as the Royal County edged a war of attrition to reach the Eirgrid Leinster U-20 FC semi-finals.

McBride struck just seconds into the contest and an evening the St Ultan's man won't forget any time soon was book-ended with an stoppage-time red card.

Meath were in the throes of damage limitation at that late stage when McBride picked up his second booking as Barry Callaghan's side defended for all they were worth.

Offaly, trailing by three points, threw the kitchen sink at Meath and had a number of late goal chances to level the quarter-final tie but simply couldn't convert.

The visitors will kick themselves for their wasteful play overall with 11 wides and a number of wasted opportunities undermining their efforts to reach next week's semi-final.

McBride couldn't believe his fortune for that early goal as he was left unmarked close to goal and punished Offaly after latching onto a high ball in from Matthew Costello.

Talented Costello was one of four players in the Meath team that lined out in last year's Leinster minor final win over Kildare.

Luke Mitchell starred in that minor decider with 0-08 and hit a 13th-minute point here to nudge Meath 1-02 to 0-02 clear.

Offaly had plenty of possession throughout and carved out a series of chances but were frustrated by their poor shooting.

They kicked seven first-half wides, hit the woodwork twice and were guilty of some poor shot selection generally like Cian Farrell's decision to go short with a kickable free that was ultimately cleared by Meath, who will now play Laois. 

Points from Jordan Morris, Daithi McGowan and Liam Byrne left Meath five points clear late in the half.

Offaly finally got their act together in front of the posts approaching half-time and reeled off four points without reply.

Jack Bryant, Sean O'Toole-Greene, Jack O'Brien and Farrell, who struck 0-09 in the Round 1 victory over Carlow, were all on the mark to leave Meath just 1-05 to 0-07 up at the interval.

Farrell wiped the deficit out entirely with a converted free after the restart but Offaly never managed to move ahead.

Instead, they conceded the next four points as Meath built up a lead that would ultimately sustain them throughout a tense closing quarter hour or so.

McBride was shown a second yellow seven minutes into stoppage time but Meath just about held on.

Meath: Andrew Beakey; Sean Ryan, Robbie Clarke, John Keane (0-01); Oisin Martyn, Eoin Harkin, Cathal Hickey; Liam Byrne (0-02, 0-01f, 0-01 45), Cian Swaine; Cian McBride (1-00), Matthew Costello (0-01), Conall Ahearne (0-01); Jordan Morris (0-01), Daithi McGowan (0-03), Luke Mitchell (0-02).

Subs: Danny Dixon (0-01) for Swaine (h/t), Sean Bannon for Martyn (46), Aaron Lynch for Mitchell (53), Cathal Finnegan for Morris (57), Darragh Nolan for Ahearne (62).

Offaly: Jack Cullinan; Adam Bolger, Aidan Bracken, Clive Kenna; Jack O'Brien (0-01), Ed Bennett, Ciaran Donnelly; Jack McEvoy, Cathal Donoghue; Seanie Farrell, Cian Farrell (0-07, 0-05f), Sean O'Toole-Greene (0-01); Kevin McDermott, Cian Johnson (0-01), Jack Bryant (0-01).

Subs: Nathan Poland (0-01) for Bryant (41), Dan Wyer for McEvoy (44), Eoin Dunne for O'Toole-Greene (53), Mikey Cunningham for McDermott (57), Oisin Murphy for Wyer (62, black card), Kieran Dolan for Bracken (63).

Referee: John Hickey (Carlow).

Louth 0-16 Wexford 3-10

A late Jamie Meyler penalty sent Wexford in the semi-finals where they will meet Dublin. 

It was Meyler's second goal of the game and his first allied to a Louth own goal had the visitors up by 2-07 to 0-05 at the break at the Gaelic Grounds. 

The hosts had steadily fought back in the second period and despite drawing level with time running out were undone by the late major.