Carlow 2-04 Offaly 3-22

Offaly recorded a convincing win over Carlow in the Leinster Under-20 Football Championship first round game in Netwatch Cullen Park. 

The visitors started well with Cian Farrell and Kevin McDermott both finding the posts.

It was looking good for them but the eventual runaway winners were rocked when Mikey Bambrick burst through the middle, off-loaded to Padraig Hynes who shot to the net from close range.

This should have given Carlow some momentum but instead Offaly shrugged off the concession and continued to tack on the points with Edenderry's Farrell ending the half with a total of 0-07.

The goals came on 21 and 27 minutes with McDermott and Johnson the scorers.

Just before half-time Andrew Kehoe swooped for a second Carlow goal but at the break behind by 2-16 to 2-00 and the home side down to 14 players after Conor Doyle was red-carded it was game over.

The dismissal was a talking point in itself in that Doyle had thundered forward, was taken out of it by Ciaran Donnelly who was black-carded but the referee spotted a reaction from the Carlow player indicating he had lifted his foot in retaliation.

Offaly just had to get through the second period without mishap and this they did finishing the game with their quota of players while Carlow lost Cian Doyle to a black card and couldn't replace him as they had used their six replacements.

Right at the end Aaron Brazil, after only coming onto the field seconds earlier,  ran through a tired defence to score a third Offaly goal.

It was as easy as that. The home team had prepared well but on the day it didn’t happen for them against useful opposition, who will face Meath in the next round. 

Offaly: Jack Cullinan; Adam Bolger, Aidan Bracken, Clive Kenna; Ciaran Donnelly (0-1), Ed Bennett, Jack O'Brien (0-1); Jack McEvoy, Cathal Donoghue (0-1); Sean Farrell (0-1), Cian Farrell (0-9, 45, f), Shane O’Toole Greene (0-1); Cian Johnson (1-3), Jack Bryant (0-3), Kevin McDermott (1-2).

Subs: Rory Egan for Donnelly (black card 25 mins), Nathan Poland for Johnson (40 mins), Dan Wyer for McEvoy (45 mins), Peter Byrne for O’Toole Greene (50 mins), Mikey Cunningham for McDermott (50 mins), Aaron Brazil (1-0) for Bennett (56 mins).

Carlow: Keelan Gaffney; Senan Molloy, Barry Hickey, Jonah Dunne; Griffin Kennedy, Mikey Bambrick, Tom Pollard; Jamie McCabe,  Jordan Morrissey; Jamie Lunney, Padraig Hynes (1-0), Conor Doyle; Andrew Kehoe (1-2), Cian Doyle, Diarmuid Ruth (0-2,1f).

Subs: Adam Nolan for Pollard, Luke Connolly for McCabe (both 22 mins), Jordan Kelly for Kennedy (h/t), Aidan Lillis for Lunney (46 mins), Colin Byrne for Hynes (51 mins), Darren O’Keeffe for Ruth (56 mins)

Referee: Seamus Mulhare (Laois).

Elsewhere, Wexford came out on top against Wicklow in Enniscorthy on a scoreline of 1-14 to 2-07. 

The hosts were ahead for most of the clash with Sean Forde's goal in the 50th minute putting eight points between the teams. 

Wicklow scored two goals, one from the penalty spot, in the final stages but it was too little too late and Wexford will meet Louth in the quarter-final.