Tipperary powered their way past fourteen men Waterford in the last quarter of their Munster Senior Hurling Championship second round tie for an eighteen points victory at Semple Stadium.

The win gives Tipperary full points from two games while pointless Waterford have a huge task now to reach the knock-out stages of the championship.

Tipp were at their fluent best in a quality first half as they whipped over sixteen points. John O Dwyer, Michael Breen and and John McGrath each hit three points from play while Jason Forde had two from play and five in all.

The Déise were on the backfoot and suffered a major setback when Conor Gleeson, who was man-marking  Tipp dangerman Seamus Callanan, was sidelined in the 29th minute after a second yellow card.

They were trailing 0-6 to 0-13 at the time but, with Padraic O Mahoney very accurate from frees, outscored their opponents, four to three, to be 0-10 to 0-16 adrift at the break.

Indeed, Waterford might have had a goal in injury time but Patrick  Curran’s shot struck the post and skidded across the goal to the reflief of the Tipp defence. A goal then would have been a tremendous boost for the Déise.

Waterford fought hard in the second half  and more than matched their rivals. After 52 minutes  they were only three points behind, 0-17 to 0-20 but Jason Forde’s goal for Tipperary in the 53rd minute opened the floodgates as Tipperary swept forward in waves.

Waterford also lost defender Philip O Mahoney to injury in the 55th minute but by then the home side was in full flight and Seamie Callanan rounded off a fine team performance with their second goal in the 71st minute.

With a difficult visit to Ennis next time out, Tipperary are in a good place with two wins behind them.

The loss of Brendan Maher at half-time to injury will be a concern but with such as James Barry, Michael Breen, who scored six points from midfield, John McGrath, John O Dwyer and Jason Forde all in top form their stock in the championship race is rising quickly.

Waterford have a lot to do to stay in the championship with contests against All-Ireland champions, Limerick and Cork coming up. Pauric Mahoney was their key attacker with Thomas Ryan, Tadhg deBurca, Kevin Moran, Jamie Barron also keeping the flag flying.

Tipperary: B Hogan; C Barrett, J Barry, R Maher(0-1); B Maher, Padraic Maher, A Flynn; N McGrath(0-2,1f),M Breen(0-6); J Forde(1-9, 0-4fs), Patrick Maher, D McCormack; J O Dwyer(0-4), S Callanan(1-0), J McGrath(0-5)

Subs: B Heffernan(0-1) for B Maher(h/t); R Byrnes for McCormack(47 mins), W Connors for N McGrath(59mins), J Morris(0-1) for O Dwyer(65mins) G Browne for Patrick Maher(69mins);

Waterford: S O Keeffe; C Lyons, C Prunty, N Connors; Philip O Mahoney, T deBurca(0-1), K Moran; J Barron(0-1), C Gleeson; T Ryan(0-3), A Gleeson(0-1), P Mahoney(0-10,7fs); J Prendergast, P Curran, Stephen Bennett(0-1)

Subs: M Shanahan for Curran(h/t), Shane Bennett for Bennett(50mins), K Bennett for Philip Mahoney(55mins); B O Halloran(0-1) for Pauric Mahoney(61mins), C Dunford for Prendergast(65mins);

Ref: J Keenan,Wicklow.