Sean O’Shea pointed the way as Kerry moved into the Allianz Football League Division 1 final and relegated Roscommon with a 2-17 to 0-13 victory.

Kerry were 1-08 to 0-08 in front at the break after O’Shea’s goal put them in the ascendancy on the half-hour mark at Dr Hyde Park.

Peter Keane’s men had won all five of their games before last weekend’s reversal at home to Mayo, and they only required a point to secure their place in the decider.

But the brilliant Stephen O’Brien scored a second goal and Kerry were ruthless, cruising to a ten-point win.

Roscommon captain Tadgh O’Rourke elected to play with the breeze after he won the toss, but his side would trail by 1-08 to 0-08 at half-time.

David Clifford, on his first start of the year, almost found the net inside the opening minute only for the heroics of Colm Lavin in the Roscommon goal.

Niall Kilroy pointed in the third minute and Clifford found his range for the first time in the fourth.

Tom O’Sullivan pushed Kerry in front but then Roscommon landed three unanswered points to take a 0-04 to 0-02 lead by the 16th minute.

Conor Cox scored a free before Cathal Cregg and Donie Smith (free) added big scores from distance as Roscommon began to pick up pace.

The hosts had had been good at home this season, and even after Clifford replied, he ghosted in behind the defence before crashing his shot off the crossbar and over, Roscommon continued to press.

Ronan Daly and Shane Killoran scored until Kerry finally caught fire, and Sean O’Shea was central to their 1-05 haul before half-time.

O’Shea and O’Brien fired points before Dara Moynihan created a chance for O’Brien who fed O’Shea, and the Kerry centre-forward blasted his shot past Lavin.

That 29th minute goal gave Kerry a 1-05 to 0-06 lead, and then O’Shea and Clifford scored either side of O’Rourke’s black card. Roscommon were reeling and down to 14 men for ten minutes.

Cox scored a couple of vital frees but fittingly Moynihan rounded off the first half scoring, and Kerry were a goal up at the interval.

Roscommon manager Anthony Cunningham called on the experience of Enda Smith at half-time but Kerry excelled with the wind behind them.

They scored 1-03 on the bounce to put the game beyond Roscommon with a couple of O’Shea efforts and one from Clifford giving them a big 1-11 to 0-08 advantage.

Then the hardworking O’Brien bundled home a goal in the 47th minute as they surged clear.

Substitute Diarmuid Murtagh and Cox (two frees) kicked consolations but Kerry finished strong.

O’Brien was influential and he brought his tally to 1-02 while James O’Donoghue came off the bench to add a point.

Kerry: Shane Ryan; Jack Sherwood, Peter Crowley, Graham O’Sullivan; Gavin Crowley, Paul Murphy, Tom O’Sullivan (0-01); Jack Barry, Diarmuid O’Connor (0-01); Dara Moynihan (0-02), Sean O’Shea (1-05, 0-04f), Stephen O’Brien (1-02); David Clifford (0-05, 0-03f), Tommy Walsh, Kevin McCarthy.

Subs: Killian Spillane for McCarthy (5), James O’Donoghue (0-01) for Walsh (52), Jason Foley for Sherwood (53), Mark Griffin for Crowley (59), Hubert Darcy for Cregg (58), Conor Geaney for Clifford (66),

Roscommon: Colm Lavin; David Murray, Sean Mullooly, Conor Daly; Conor Hussey, Niall Daly, Ronan Daly (0-02); Tadgh O’Rourke, Shane Killoran (0-01); Niall Kilroy (0-01), Cathal Cregg (0-01), Ultan Harney; Donie Smith (0-02, 0-02f), Conor Cox (0-04, 0-04f), Aonghus Lyons.

Subs: Enda Smith for Lyons (35), Diarmuid Murtagh (0-02, 0-02f) for D Smith (47), Conor Devaney for Kilroy (49), Gary Patterson for N Daly (68).

Referee: Anthony Nolan (Wicklow), Niall Cullen (Fermanagh).