(After extra-time)

Longford claimed the Allianz Hurling League Division 3B title after a gruelling extra-time battle with Sligo at a weather-battered Connacht GAA Centre in Bekan.

A goal from substitute Alan Sorohan five minutes into the first-half of extra-time was the key score for a side for whom Cathal Mullane and David Buckley were the main scorers.

Sorohan's close-range finish, with fellow substitute Daniel Connell involved in the move, put Longford four points up, 2-14 to 3-7.

Although Sligo responded with excellent points from Kevin Banks and dual county player Gerard O'Kelly-Lynch, their top scorer, they weren't able to close the gap.

Longford wing-back Bart Hanley notched his third point – a crucial score – in the second period of extra-time.

In blustery conditions, a crossfield breeze and occasional heavy showers of hail, both sides did their best to serve up an intense encounter.

Longford, who were hammered by Sligo a week previously when they met in the final round-robin series of games in Division 3B, were four points clear at the break, 1-5 to 0-4.

David Buckley's 23rd minute goal for Longford was the difference in the first-half – he ended a powerful surge with a rasping belt of the sliothar past Sligo netminder Kevan Brennan.

Sligo improved in the second-half of normal time and it took Kevin Gilmartin's 49th minute goal to ignite their comeback.

Gerard O'Kelly-Lynch goaled with eight minutes of normal time left to bring Sligo level, 2-5 to 1-8, and then a third Sligo goal, Kevin Gilmartin on target again, put last year's Lory Meagher Cup champions two points ahead, 3-6 to 1-10, in the 66th minute.

Longford, though, got back in front via pointed frees from David Buckley and Cathal Mullane.

It was left to Gerard O'Kelly-Lynch to forced matters into extra-time when he equalised with a pointed free for Sligo in added time – this made it 3-7 to 1-13.

Longford, who deserved their win, had the upper hand during the 20 minutes that followed.

Sligo: Kevan Brennan, Tommy Kelly, James Weir, Danny Keown, Gerard O'Kelly-Lynch (1-7, 5f), Liam Reidy, Kevin Banks (0-1), Ronan Cox, Kevin O'Kennedy, Brian Shannon, Joe Starr (0-1), Kieran Prior, Kevin Gilmartin (2-0), Gary Cadden, Eoin Comerford (0-1, 1f)

Subs: Tony O'Kelly-Lynch for Brian Shannon, 25 ('blood' sub); Tony O'Kelly-Lynch for Eoin Comerford, h-t; Joe McHugh for Kieran Prior, 43; Rory McHugh for Kevin O'Kennedy, 53; Niall McDermott for Tommy Kelly, 77; Kieran Prior for Gary Cadden, 84

Longford: Eanna Daly, Paddy Corcoran, Gerard Moore, Johnny Casey, Bart Hanley (0-3, 1f, 1 '65'), Karl Murray, Cian McLoughlin, Paul Barden, David Buckley (1-2, 1f), John Mulhern, Cathal Mullane (0-5, 3f), Shane O'Brien (0-1), Cian Kavanagh, Enda Naughton (0-2), Rueben Murray (0-2)

Subs: Daniel Connell for John Mulhern, 58; Alan Sorohan (1-0) for Shane O'Brien, 65; John Mulhern for Cian Kavanagh, 85; Paul Leonard for David Buckley, 90

Referee: James Clarke (Cavan)