Galway's dominance over Mayo continues after their seventh successive victory over their neighbours in all competitions at MacHale Park, Castlebar on Saturday night.

A first-half goal from Danny Cummins proved decisive in the end as the Tribesmen weathered a second half comeback from the home side to record their third victory of this league campaign.

A big crowd of 10,675 people were served up a game of two halves, thanks mainly to the gale-force breeze, with the outcome hanging in the balance until the dying moments.

However, despite not scoring for more than 20 minutes in the second half, Galway finished strongly as man of the match, Shane Walsh, landed three frees in a row to break Mayo’s resistance.

The winners, who haven’t lost a competitive game to Mayo for almost four years, led at half-time by 1-7 to 0-3.

With the strong wind at their backs, Galway held their neighbours scoreless for the entire second quarter.

Mayo’s only points in that opening period came from three Jason Doherty frees as poor shot selection blighted some good approach work.

Galway had built up a 0-6 to 0-3 lead when they struck for the only goal of the game in the 25th minute.

It arrived after a defence-splitting pass from the excellent Antaine O'Laoi picked out Johnny Heaney, who was raiding from wing-back, and he set up Danny Cummins for a palmed finish past David Clarke from close range.

Danny Cummins' goal proved to be the decisive score in the end

Galway’s seven point lead at the break was made all the more impressive by the fact that Kevin Walsh had to re-organise his troops during the second quarter after losing both Michael Daly and Barry McHugh to black cards in quick succession.

However, Mayo only managed to register a free from Jason Doherty during the ten minutes they enjoyed the luxury of having two extra players on the field.

It was a different story though in the second half as Mayo came roaring back into contention with the big wind behind them.

Driven on by Colm Boyle, Brendan Harrison and Matthew Ruane, the home side rattled off seven points during the third quarter to reel Galway back in.

Ruane, Darren Coen, substitute Andy Moran and free-taker Jason Doherty, who kicked three frees and a point from play, all hit the target as Galway struggled to keep them at bay.

This purple patch pared the visitor’s lead back to the bare minimum (1-8 to 0-10) with 55 minutes played.

Crucially, however, Mayo were unable to draw level at any stage with a few wides and a Jason Doherty free that struck the post proving costly.

Galway also managed to reset their defensive system and battened down the hatches to hold Mayo scoreless for 20 minutes.

In the meantime, the eventual winners rallied to land a hat-trick of scores from Shane Walsh frees to push them four points clear in stoppage-time.

The game ended in a welter of excitement with Mayo laying siege to the Galway goal, and both Diarmuid O’Connor and Donie Vaughan picked off late scores before time ran out.

When the league resumes in a fortnight’s time, Mayo will travel to Tralee to take on league leaders Kerry while Galway welcome Roscommon to Salthill for another Connacht derby.

Galway: R Lavelle; E Kerin, SA Ó Ceallaigh, D Wynne; G O’Donnell, J Daly, J Heaney (0-1); T Flynn, C Duggan; M Daly (0-1), D Cummins (1-2, 0-1 mark),P Cooke; B McHugh, S Walsh (0-5, 5fs), A Ó Laoi (0-2).

Subs: F O Laoi for Flynn; E Brannigan for Cummins; G Bradshaw for McHugh; P Cunningham for A O Laoi.

Mayo: D Clarke; C Barrett, B Harrison, K Higgins; L Keegan, C Boyle, S Coen; M Ruane (0-1), D Vaughan (0-1); F McDonagh, A O’Shea, D O’Connor (0-1); J Durcan, D Coen (0-1), J Doherty (0-7, 6fs).

Subs: K McLoughlin for Durcan; A Moran (0-1, mark) for S Coen; B Reape for McDonagh.

Referee: M Deegan (Laois)