Clare had to endure a nervy scare before finally maintaining their perfect Allianz Hurling League home record when defeating Wexford in front of 4,245 in Cusack Park, Ennis on Sunday afternoon.

Cruising by 13 points entering the final 20 minutes, nothing but a handsome Banner victory seemed on the cards. However, much like their last home game against Kilkenny, Clare would take their foot off Wexford's throats and it would almost prove extremely costly as a 1-8 unanswered 13 minute rally would slash the arrears to just two at 2-19 to 1-20 by the 63rd minute.

Finally ending their 16 minute barren patch, Clare did restore a four point gap entering injury-time but again they failed to close out the contest and in the end, the hosts were thankful to goalkeeper Donal Tuohy for preventing a last gasp equalising goal when tipping away a Rory O'Connor pulled effort. 

Inconsistently has dogged Clare's campaign so far but when they were good, they were very good as evidenced most in their timely goals either side of the break.

Clare's Aidan McCarthy celebrates with Peter Duggan

Right on the stroke of half-time, Tony Kelly offloaded to the overlapping David Fitzgerald to race through before teeing up the unmarked John Conlon to fire to the net and give his side a 1-15 to 0-11 interval cushion.

Only four minutes into the new half, Peter Duggan was tripped on his way to goal before converting the resulting penalty to the bottom left corner as Clare soared 2-19 to 0-12 in front.

Only one result appeared inevitable but Wexford refused to adhere to that script as they somehow regained a foothold in the contest.

Rory O'Connor began the fightback as the visitors chipped away at the deficit with six unanswered points before Shaun Murphy's superb volleyed goal initiated a further two point surge to cut the arrears to just two by the 63rd minute.

Podge Collins and Ian Galvin did restore a four point gap by the 72nd minute but Clare would be left to cling on for the remainder as Wexford threw everything at their opponents before just coming up short.

Clare: Donal Tuohy; Rory Hayes, David McInerney, Jack Browne; Patrick O'Connor. Conor Cleary, David Fitzgerald (0-02); Shane Golden (0-01), Colm Galvin (0-01); Peter Duggan (1-06, 1-00 Pen, 0-06f), Tony Kelly (0-02), Diarmuid Ryan (0-04); Ian Galvin (0-02), John Conlon (1-01), Podge Collins (0-03)

Subs: Cathal Malone for Fitzgerald (55), Ryan Taylor for Golden (61), Jason McCarthy for O'Connor (65), Aidan McCarthy for Ryan (69), Aron Shanagher for Conlon (69, inj)

Wexford: Mark Fanning; Liam Ryan (0-01), Darren Byrne, Shane Reck; Paudie Foley, Shaun Murphy (1-00), Matthew O’Hanlon; Diarmuid O’Keeffe (0-01), Liam Óg McGovern (0-02); Kevin Foley (0-02), Ian Byrne (0-04, 0-04f), Aidan Nolan (0-01); Cathal Dunbar (0-02), Lee Chin (0-01), Rory O’Connor (0-05, 0-01f)

Subs: Conor McDonald for McGovern (HT), Paul Morris (0-01) for Byrne (HT), Damien Reck for S. Reck (54), Jack O'Connor (0-02, 0-01f) for Dunbar (55), Harry Kehoe for Nolan (67)

Referee: John Keenan (Wicklow)