Peter Harte inspired Tyrone to their first league win of the season, hitting 1-06 as they defeated ulster neighbours Monaghan by 1-16 to 0-12 at Healy Park.

The Red Hands were in desperate need of this result with the threat of relegation looming large, and they performed with purpose and a measure of attacking flair.

Now the Farney men, having defeated Dublin in their opening game, have lost three on the trot and have been drawn into a battle to avoid the drop.

Tyrone reeled off eighth points without replay in the second half to take control, with Conor McManus hitting back late on, but too late, to bring his tally to 0-07

Harte gave Rory Beggan no chance with a fiercely struck shot to the top corner of the net in the fourth minute from Liam Rafferty’s pass as the Red Hands made a ferocious start to the contest.

But Beggan once again proved an offensive asset as he picked out Dermot Malone with a pinpoint accurate 70 metre kick-out, with Conor McManus getting on the end of the move to narrow the gap to two points.

McManus was proving too hot to handle for All-Star defender Padraig Hampsey, and by the 15th minute he had four points on the board, fetching for an offensive mark, before collecting Stephen O’Hanlon’s perfect assist to level at 1-02 to 0-05.

Two Harte frees restored the Red Hands’ two points advantage, and Niall Sludden extended the lead, but they needed turnovers from Rafferty and Michael McKernan, along with an intercept from sweeper Frank Burns, to deny the Monaghan men as they built from deep.

Jack McCarron swept over a brilliant score and converted a tricky free, but Tyrone crafted another goal chance, with Harte sending Ben McDonnell through, but the wing back blazed his shot over the crossbar.

 Niall Sludden tackled by Ryan Wylie and Dessie Mone

After Dessie Ward picked up a black card on 32 minutes, Monaghan retreated with all 14 men camped deep in their own half as the Red Hands attempted to counter with the aid of an extra man, and it paid off, as the home side failed to add to their 1-7 tally, and went in at the break with a three points lead.

Tyrone managed just one point during Ward’s ten minute visit to the sin-bin, but strangely were able to cut loose once their opponents were restored to their full complement of players.

They reeled off eight points on the spin to take control, giving themselves an 11 points lead at one stage.

Harte was playing with joy and abandon, running at the Monaghan defence, picking off scores and providing opportunities for his team-mates.

Kieran McGeary, Niall Morgan (free), Conor Meyler and Cathal McShane also steered over points as the Red Hands went on all-out attack, while keeping it secure at the back as well.

The Monaghan attack was living off scraps, but Stephen O’Hanlon did manage to cut in from the left to get a shot away, ‘keeper which Morgan was equal to.

They had gone more than half an hour without a score before Ryan McAnespie found the target, and while McManus added three more, they were a well beaten side by that stage, lacking in the famous Farney fight that has seen them pull off so many impressive victories.

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-02, 2f); L Rafferty, R McNamee, M McKernan; T McCann, P Hampsey, B McDonnell (0-01); B Kennedy, R Donnelly; M Donnelly, N Sludden (0-01), F Burns; C McShane (0-03, 2f), P Harte (1-06, 3f, 1om), K McGeary (0-01).

Subs: C Meyler (0-01) for Rafferty (h-t), D McClure (0-01) for Kennedy (61), C McAliskey for R Donnelly (65), H Loughran for Sludden (67).

Monaghan: R Beggan; K Duffy, D Wylie, R Wylie; D Mone, B Kerr, R McAnespie (0-02); D Hughes, G Doogan; D Ward, J McCarron (0-02, 1f), S Carey; D Malone (0-01), C McManus (0-07, 3om), S O’Hanlon.

Subs: K O’Connell for Kerr (42), C McCarthy for McCarron (42), V Corey for Carey (53), O Duffy for Malone (59), M Bannigan for Ward (65)

Referee: C Branagan (Down).