Aidan Nolan cracked Tipperary with an injury-time match-winner as Wexford fought back to capture the spoils in Sunday's third-round Allianz NHL Division 1A battle at Innovate Wexford Park.

The Premier County looked to be coping well with the loss of Noel McGrath to a second yellow-card shortly before half-time as they powered clear by 1-11 to 0-6 after 42 minutes.

But Wexford refused to yield any further, and a Seamus Casey goal lifted the home-side before Lee Chin located Aidan Nolan for the ultimately decisive blow three minutes into added-time as Wexford added to their victory over Cork.

It is back-to-back defeats, meanwhile, for Tipperary as Davy Fitzgerald savours his first competitive win over the Premier County as Wexford boss – and his first in management since Clare defeated them in the 2016 League quarter-final.

Captain Seamus Callanan boosted the wind-assisted Tipperary when depositing a goal after only 46 seconds, the number 14 whipping home a ground-shot following good work by Niall O'Meara.

It turned out to be a significant score during a closely contested and low-scoring first-half, although Tipperary keeper Paul Maher distinguished himself with a smart save on 13 minutes from Aidan Nolan after a couple of Ian Byrne frees had kept Wexford in the running at 1-2 to 0-3.

Seamus Casey celebrates his goal against Tipp

Byrne's dead-ball accuracy had Wexford within 1-3 to 0-5 on 25 minutes, and the home-side should have been boosted after Tipperary lost playmaker Noel McGrath to a second yellow-card on 34 minutes.

But Liam Sheedy's men coped more than satisfactorily when controlling the closing stages – including five minutes of added-time – to pull clear by 1-7 to 0-6 at half-time with three more Seamus Callanan frees.

Despite being down a man, the visitors looked business-like as they resumed the second half by extending their lead 1-11 to 0-6 on 42 minutes courtesy of Niall O'Meara (2), Callanan and midfielder Robert Byrne.

But Ian Byrne was key to transforming matters as the Ferns man followed up by converting a free on 45 minutes and putting Seamus Casey through one-on-one with the keeper to finish a low drive to the net (1-11 to 1-8).

Wexford supporters amongst the 6,700 attendance were further enlivened as their heroes tied the game 1-11 apiece by the 57th-minute with Ian Byrne (free), Seamus Casey and Kevin Foley establishing parity for the first-time.

Seamus Callanan and Jason Forde (free) traded scores with Cathal Dunbar (line-ball) and sub Rory O'Connor as things remained evenly poised, before Tipp sub Jake Morris made it 1-14 to 1-13 on 67 minutes.

But a determined Wexford regained parity through Diarmuid O'Keeffe prior to substitute Lee Chin finding Aidan Nolan in space on the left for the Bunclody flyer to hit the decisive blow three minutes into added-time to boost Davy Fitz ahead of Wexford's trip to his native Clare next Sunday.

Wexford: Eanna Martin; Damien Reck, Darren Byrne, Shane Reck; Shaun Murphy, Matthew O'Hanlon, Pádraig Foley (0-1); Diarmuid O'Keeffe (0-3), Aidan Nolan (0-1); Liam Óg McGovern, Ian Byrne (0-6 frees), Kevin Foley (0-1); Seamus Casey (1-1), Cathal Dunbar (0-1 line-ball), Conor McDonald.

Subs: Lee Chin for D Reck (ht); Rory O'Connor (0-1) I Byrne (51); Harry Kehoe for Casey (62); Simon Donohoe (Shelmaliers) for O'Keeffe (temp., 67).

Tipperary: Paul Maher; Donagh Maher, James Barry, Ronan Maher (0-1); Seamus Kennedy, Pádraic Maher, Barry Heffernan; Robert Byrne (0-1), Michael Breen; John O'Dwyer, Noel McGrath, Patrick Maher; Jason Forde (0-2, 1 free), Seamus Callanan (1-7, 0-6 frees), Niall O'Meara (0-2).

Subs: Jake Morris (0-1) for O'Dwyer (51); Willie Connors for Heffernan (54); Alan Flynn for D Maher (57); John McGrath for O'Meara (59); Tom Fox for Byrne (68).

Referee: Colm Lyons (Cork).