Thirteen-man Carlow proved no match for Waterford going down by fourteen points in round three of the Allianz National Hurling League.

The conditions were awful at Fraher Field with driving rain and a swirling breeze endured by both sets of players and the official attendance of 2,478. It mattered little for Waterford as they maintained their 100% record.

A goal for each member of Waterford’s deadly full-forward line of Thomas Ryan, Stephen Bennett and Shane Bennett laid the foundations for a victory as comfortable as the scoreline suggests.

Carlow, who grabbed the headlines with a home draw to Galway in the previous round, were well off the mark here.

Two goals within a minute of each other in the opening half gave the home side the clear advantage. In the 10th minute, Thomas Ryan flicked a Shane Bennett line-ball to the net for goal number one. 

Moments later, Bennett was again provider, this time finding his brother Stephen who slotted the ball to the corner of the net, 2-01 to 0-03.

Waterford players held their feet better in the treacherous conditions and had excellent first period points from Jamie Barron, Colin Dunford and D. J. Foran to lead 2-07 to 0-07 at the break.

Both teams scrap for the ball during tonight's clash in Fraher Field

Carlow suffered a significant blow to their chances just before half-time with the influential Martin Kavanagh limping out of action after 33 minutes.

Shane Bennett turned goalscorer in the 44th minute, benefiting from a searing run and pass from Jack Prendergast to lash home number three.

Any lingering hope that Carlow had of getting something from this game expired when substitute Diarmuid Byrne was sent off for a reckless pull after 52 minutes.

With the advantage of the extra man, Waterford were able to coast to the full-time whistle. Former All-Stars Jamie Barron and Austin Gleeson excelled on their return to the team as it became all too easy for the Déise.

It took Carlow twenty five minutes to register their first score of the second when substitute Chris Nolan landed a point after 60 minutes. Indeed the Leinster side managed a partly three points in the second half.

There was further misery for Colm Bonnar's side when they had a second player, Ger Coady sent to the line in the 62nd minute for a second bookable offence.

Carlow rising halted as Waterford sit alone with full points at the top of Division 1A.

Waterford: Billy Nolan, Shane McNulty, Conor Prunty, Noel Connors, Austin Gleeson , Michael Walsh, Jordan Henley, Jamie Barron (0-02), Colin Dunford (0-01), D.J. Foran (0-01), Mikey Kearney (0-01), Jack Prendergast, Thomas Ryan (1-01), Stephen Bennett (1-08, 0-07f), Shane Bennett (1-00).

Subs: Callum Lyons (0-1) for Jordan Henley (48), Shane Ryan for Thomas Ryan (52), Michéal Harney for Colin Dunford (59), Stephen Roche for Shane Bennett (64m).

Carlow: Damien Jordan, Michael Doyle, Alan Corcoran, Gary Bennett, Ger Coady, David English, Richard Coady (0-01), Jack Kavanagh, Jack Murphy, John Michael Nolan, Ross Smithers, Seamus Murphy, James Doyle, Denis Murphy (0-02,0-01f), Martin Kavanagh (0-04,0-03f).

Subs: Edward Byrne for Martin Kavanagh (33), Chris Nolan (0-1) for John Michael Nolan (37m), Diarmuid Byrne for Seamus Murphy (45m), Ted Joyce for Gary Bennett (48), Sean Whelan for Jack Murphy (53).

Referee: John Keenan (Wicklow)