Second-half goals from Stephen Attride and Donie Kingston helped Laois to an eight-point win over Sligo in O’Moore Park, 2-18 to 2-10.

Laois were 12 points up midway through the second half but Sligo battled to the end as two goals from sub Barry O’Gorman and the sending off of Marty Scully meant the home side endured a nervous finish.

Evan O’Carroll was in top form for Laois with eight points in another top-class display as he manages a busy schedule with Laois and UCD Sigerson Cup commitments.

Laois led 0-09 to 0-06 at the break and were 2-13 to 0-07 ahead by the 50th minute.

Sligo kept battling but they couldn’t close the gap and fell to their third defeat in a row.

Laois: G Brody; D Seale, S Nerney, G Dillon; M Scully, S Attride (1-00), C Begley; K Meaney, J O’Loughlin; D O'Reilly (0-01), D Kingston (1-03, 0-1m), C Boyle (0-01); P Cahillane (0-02, 1f), E O'Carroll (0-08, 1f, 1m), M Barry (0-01).

Subs: R Tyrell for Meaney (45), S O’Flynn for Boyle (57), E Lowry for Barry (59), C Murphy (0-02) for O’Carroll, R Munnelly for Cahillane (66)

Sligo: A Devaney (0-02, 2f); N Mullen, P Laffey, J Carr; L Nicholson, P McNamara, G O'Kelly-Lynch; P Kilcoyne, A McIntyre; L Gaughan (0-03), S Carrabine, C Henry; A Marren (0-04, 3f), P O'Connor, N Murphy.

Subs: B O'Gorman (2-01, 0-1m) for Murphy (inj - 14), N Ewing for Henry (31), A McLoughlin for Carrabine (43), D Cummins for Nicholson (47)

Referee: F Smyth (Offaly)

Longford moved to the top of the Division 3 table, inflicting Carlow’s first loss of the campaign on a 1-11 to 0-09 scoreline at Netwatch Dr Cullen Park.

Carlow missed a first-half penalty and were punished in the final ten minutes when Connor Berry grabbed a goal for the visitors which put daylight between the teams.

Longford were unfortunate to miss out on promotion from the division last season, Armagh and Fermanagh going up ahead of them, but they have started 2019 well despite missing players through injury and Mullinalaghta’s involvement in the All-Ireland club championship.

Offaly find themselves in relegation trouble following their second defeat of the season – losing 2-10 to 2-18 to Louth at Bord na Mona O’Connor Park, a result which sees them still looking for the first win of the season in the League.

The Faithful actually led at the break, 2-05 to 1-03, Shane Horan getting the second of their goals, but they couldn’t hold on and only Sligo, who haven’t a single point, keep them off rock-bottom.

On Saturday, Down beat Westmeath 0-10 to 0-09 in Newry in Division 3's other fixture.