Kildare earned their first Allianz FL Division 2 victory of the season as they prevailed against Cork at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday afternoon.

Leading by two points at half-time, 1-04 to 0-05, the Lilywhites forged further ahead on the resumption as Adam Tyrrell scored his second point of the day, but Cork were level as Luke Connolly’s point from a mark was followed by Michael Hurley’s fourth and fifth scores of the day.

When Kildare midfielder Fergal Conway was sent off in the 42nd minute, receiving a black card having been booked in the first half, it looked like Cork might push on but they never managed to seize the lead.

Kildare were back in front thanks to Kevin Feely’s point and though Cork created a goal opportunity as Ruiarí Deane’s pass put Matthew Taylor in, Mark Donnellan saved well and Ben Cormack opened up a two-point lead for Kildare.

Though Seán White closed the gap, Kildare sub Neil Flynn replied and he would add another point after Donnellan did well to tip Deane’s shot on to the crossbar.

A third Flynn point, from a 45 in injury time, made it a four-point game and though Cork closed the deficit slightly with a Mark Collins free, the goal they needed remained elusive. While Kildare finished with 13 as Keith Cribbin was black-carded near the end, Cork fell short of their full complement as sub Brian Hurley was dismissed for an off-the ball incident.

The pitch at Páirc Uí Chaoimh cut up badly during the game

In the first half, Cork defended well for the most part but were let down in their shooting, with seven wides registered in contrast to just two by Kildare.

Cork led twice in the early stages but Kildare’s penalty, awarded for a Ronan O’Toole foul on Jimmy Hyland, allowed Kevin Feely the chance to put the visitors in front and they never trailed from there.

Though Cork were level when Hurley and Ruairí Deane – after a good mark – pointed, the visitors pushed on with three in a row, from Adam Tyrrell, Ben McCormack and Hyland, who did well to claim a mark.

Hurley’s third left two in it at the break, Kildare 1-4 to 0-5 ahead, and though Cork would eradicate that during the second half, Cian O’Neill’s men were able to reclaim, and hold, the lead on a Páirc Uí CHaoimh pitch that was badly cut up by full-time.

Kildare: Mark Donnellan; Mark Dempsey, Mick O’Grady, David Hyland; James Murray, Eoin Doyle, Keith Cribbin; Kevin Feely (1-01, 1-00 penalty), Fionn Dowling (0-01); Conor Hartley, Fergal Conway, David Slattery; Adam Tyrrell (0-02, frees), Ben McCormack (0-02), Jimmy Hyland (0-01, mark).

Subs: Aaron Masterson for Hartley (half-time), Neil Flynn (0-03, 0-01 45) for Dowling (45), Cian O’Donoghue for Murray (54), Eoghan O’Flaherty for Tyrrell (57), Jason Gibbons for Hyland (66).

Cork: Mark White; Kevin O’Donovan, Kevin Flahive, Conor Dennehy; James Loughrey, Stephen Cronin, Matthew Taylor; Ian Maguire, Ronan O’Toole; Tomás Clancy, Eoghan McSweeney, Mark Collins (0-01, free); Michael Hurley (0-05), Ruairí Deane (0-01, mark), Luke Connolly (0-02, 0-01 free, 0-01 mark).

Subs: Paul Kerrigan for McSweeney (half-time), Seán White (0-01) for O’Toole (48), Liam O’Donovan for Loughrey (54), Brian Hurley for Connolly (56), Killian O’Hanlon for Clancy (62).

Referee: Seán Lonergan (Tipperary).