Westmeath got the better of Kildare at The Downs to reach the semi-finals of the O'Byrne Cup.

Jack Cooney's men had to win after drawing their second game against Offaly but a draw would have been enough for Kildare.

A goal from David Slattery had the Lilywhites ahead by the minimum at the midway stage - 1-05 to 0-07 - but Kildare played the entire second half a man down when Pascal Connell was dismissed before the whistle.

Westmeath quickly took advantage with a goal from Joe Halligan upon the restart and with Ger Egan hitting 0-06 (3f) beat their rivals by 1-13 to 1-07.

Last year's runners-up will now face neighbours Longford in a Midlands derby next Saturday, with the winners taking on Dublin or holders Meath in the final on 19 January.

In the McKenna Cup, Donegal hammered Down by 10 points to stay top of section A.

Declan Bonner's men led 0-09 to 0-03 at half-time and Caolán MacGonagaill's goal put the icing on the cake as the visitors cruised to a 1-17 to 0-10 triumph.

Cavan are only behind Donegal on score difference after a comfortable 0-17 to 0-03 dismissal of Queen's University.

Mickey Graham maintained his 100% record as manager as his team held their opponents scoreless in the second half, pushing on from a five-point interval advantage to win comfortably.

In section B, Armagh made it two wins out two against Antrim at Glenavy.

Ryan McShane and Jamie Clarke, from a penalty, both netted to give Kieran McGeeney's men an unassailable 2-12 to 0-02  half-time lead and Eoghan McCabe's goal was merely a consolation for Antrim as it finished 2-21 to 1-10.

Monaghan were surprisingly held at Clones by a St Mary's side that had been handed a 25-point thumping by the Orchard County in round one.

Barry McGinn's 50th-minute goal looked to have put them in the driving seat but man of the match Shane McGuigan and Aaron Boyle combined as the Belfast college got the last three scores of the game to secure a 1-14 to 0-17 draw.

In section C, Tyrone maintained their 100% record by beating Ulster University 2-14 to 1-09 in Omagh.

Tyrone were up by just three points at the change of ends - 0-08 to 0-05 - but Declan McClure and Peter Harte both found the net as they pushed on in the second half. 

Daire Gallagher got the Jordanstown goal against his native county.

At Brewster Park, Derry got their first win of the year in a goalfest against Fermanagh

Ben McCarron bagged a hat-trick, his first green flag helping Derry into a 1-07 to-1-04 lead at the break while Ryan Lyons responded with a goal for the Ernesiders.

McCarron put Derry six points up with his second strike before a Darragh McGurn penalty brought the hosts back into it.

McCarron, who was an early substitute for the injured Ryan Bell, wasn't to be denied a treble however and the Oak Leaf county survived the sinbinning of Emmet Bradley to seal victory.

After Wednesday's final round of group games, the three section winners and the best-placed runners up will advance to the semi-finals.