Meath manager Andy McEntee says he won’t rush to judge the new playing rules but admits that the offensive mark may force him to push more players back into defence.
The Royals beat Laois in the O’Byrne Cup at the weekend but McEntee can foresee some problems that might not have been taken into account when the proposals were suggested.
Speaking on RTÉ 2fm’s Game On, he said: "I couldn’t afford to allow the opposition to catch a clean ball inside 40 yards. Chances are, it’s a score every time.
"So what are you going to do? You are going to play one in front and one behind. And if you are coming up against a team that has three or four big target men [you'll push back more].
"We can’t afford to let the likes of Michael Murphy or someone like that catch the ball inside the 45m line because you have to stand off him and it’s a score.
"I can get over the hand-pass rule, I think we’ll get around that, maybe tinker with it a bit. It seems to encourage a little bit more kicking earlier on.
"There are loads of occasions where a fellow could make a relatively decent foot-pass instead of taking the option of a short hand-pass. I can see that working to a certain extent.
"For 80-85 per cent of the teams in the country [the Allianz League] is their main competition, and now we’re making an experiment out of it and that’s the bit that bugs me."
Meath’s next game is against Longford on Saturday, while they will also host Dublin on Sunday in a fundraising game for Dunboyne man Sean Cox, who suffered devastating injuries in an attack outside Anfield last April.
Tickets for the Seán Cox (@coxynwa) Fundraising match between @MeathGAA and @DubGAAOfficial in Páirc Tailteann on Sunday 16th December are available from https://t.co/sIx7i4ArCT.— Game On 2FM (@GameOn2FM) December 10, 2018
Donations to the Support Seán fund can also be made on the GoFundMe page -> https://t.co/j9eZO3vFlH pic.twitter.com/ahUDQdi5DZ