New experimental rule changes will be in place for the 2019 Allianz Football League after the GAA's Central Council sanctioned new guidelines in relation to kickouts, sideline kicks, handpassing, a 'sin bin' and the mark.
The GAA’s Standing Committee on the Playing Rules (SCPR) proposals related to the restricted use of the hand-pass, the sideline kick, the introduction of the ‘sin bin’ and the advanced mark.
An amended version of the kick-out proposal was also passed that will see all kick-outs take place from the 20m line without having to pass the 45m line.
The experimental period will cover the pre-season competitions run by the provincial councils and the Allianz Football Leagues.
Also at today's gathering at Croke Park, there was broad support for the introduction of a second-tier football championship and it was agreed to discuss possible formats at the January meeting of Central Council to allow a motion to proceed to Congress in February.
A Roscommon motion with regard to a ‘blank canvas’ approach to fixture making was defeated.
The GAA President invited them to submit their own proposals with regard to fixture making for consideration.
The GAA will conduct its own review of fixtures starting early next summer.
A representative of the Club Players Association will be invited to take part in the process.
The following CCCC proposals relating to the Master Fixture Plan were all were passed.
Proposal 1; Allianz Hurling Leagues in 2019 to be run on the same basis as in 2018.
From 2020 onwards, Allianz Hurling League Division 1 to be structured as follows:
Division 1 – Group A
1st placed team 2019 Div 1a
4th Placed team 2019 Div 1a
Winner of Div 1a relegation play-off
2nd placed team 2019 Div 1b
3rd placed team 2019 Div 1b
Promoted Div 2a team
Division 1 Group B
2nd placed team 2019 Div 1a
3rd placed team 2019 Div 1a
Loser of Div 1a relegation play-off
1st placed team 2019 Div 1b
4th placed team 2019 div 1b
5th placed team 2019 Div 1b
* Groups to run on a two year cycle (2020, 2021)
* To be redrawn for 2022 and every two years thereafter based on formula above ("5th placed team Div 1b" to change to "Relegation final winners" for this purpose).
* Relegation from 2020 onwards to be after Relegation Play-Off between bottom placed team in Group A and Group B.
* Winner of Div 2a final is promoted annually to replace relegated team
* 1st placed team in each group to advance directly to Allianz Hurling League Semi Final
* 2nd and 3rd placed teams from each group to meet in "crossover" quarter finals (2nd 1a v 3rd 1b and 3rd 1a v 2nd 1b)
Proposal 2: Regarding the hurling championship, Central Council to sponsor a motion to Congress seeking that Joe McDonagh Cup Final be winner on the day.
Proposal 3: That Central Council sponsor a motion to Congress making the All Ireland Hurling Preliminary Quarter Finals winner on the day.