Ballyboden St Enda's 5-28  Coolderry 5-25 (aet)

Dublin footballer Colm Basquel swapped codes and enjoyed stunning success with a 3-03 haul as Ballyboden St Enda's edged a 90-minute thriller to reach the AIB Leinster club SHC final.

The forward, part of Dublin's four-in-a-row winning panel last September and making his senior club hurling debut, hit all his scores from play, created another goal for Conal Keaney and won the free that led to the point that forced extra-time.

The tour de force mirrored the impact of Cuala's dual star Con O'Callaghan in recent seasons and Ballyboden will hope for more of the same in the final on December 2.

It'll be just their second final ever having lost to Birr in the 2007 decider and this was just their fifth win in 11 provincial championship games.

If they win the title they'll have done it the hard way having required a replay to win the Dublin final and they also needed extra-time to beat Clonkill in the Leinster quarter-finals.

Former Offaly forward Brian Carroll scored 2-16 for Coolderry but was one of three players sent off for the Faithful County champions in extra-time. Keaney also saw red in what was on of the most dramatic games ever witnessed in the provincial championship.

They were still level after 20 minutes of extra-time which necessitated an another 10 minutes and three points from free-taker Paul Ryan in this period ultimately edged it for Ballyboden.

It looked as if Joe Fortune's Ballyboden might win comfortably in normal time after running up a seven-point lead in the opening three minutes.

Niall Ryan netted after just 70 seconds when he strode through the middle of the Coolderry defence and volleyed superbly to the top right corner.

Basquel grabbed his first goal with a wicked shot from the right a minute later following good work in the buildup by Aidan Mellett.

Basquel added a point soon after and suddenly Ballyboden enjoyed a seven-point head start at 2-01 to 0-00.

Coolderry's response was emphatic as they reeled off six points without reply to leaving just one in it and set in train a remarkable tit-for-tat scoring encounter.

Simon Lambert's shot is blocked by Coolderry's Eoghan Parlon

That one-point margin remained between them with 22 minutes played as Ballyboden led 2-04 to 0-09 though the hosts pulled clear in the run up to half-time.

They outscored Coolderry by 1-04 to 0-01 in that period with Conal Keaney's 25th minute goal coming as a welcome gift to the 2007 finalists.

Keaney struck after Basquel got a partial block to Coolderry goalkeeper Stephen Corcoran's attempted clearance from the left endline, leaving Keaney to strike back into an empty net.

The burst of scores left 'Boden 3-08 to 0-10 up at half-time and they stretched the gap to nine points after 38 minutes following ex-Dublin captain David Curtin's second point of the day.

But a rip-roaring encounter was only coming to the boil at that stage as four more goals were registered in normal time - three from Coolderry.

Basquel got his second and Ballyboden's fourth in the 46th minute after a trademark surge of pace to beat his man.

But Coolderry majors from Conor Molloy, sub Declan Parlon and a Carroll injury-time strike turned the game on its head.

Coolderry briefly led after Connolly's 62nd minute point but Ryan levelled it up from a placed ball after Basquel was fouled by Brian Kelly, forcing extra-time at 4-16 to 3-19.

Basquel's fourth goal in extra-time nudged them four clear at one stage but a Coolderry goal in response from Carroll left it level again at the end of the 20 minutes, 5-22 to 4-25.

It necessitated a further 10 minutes of action - two halves of five minutes - and Ryan's three points from frees won it for Ballyboden. Basquel was still going strong at that stage and won all three of the frees.

Coolderry finished without Carroll, Kevin Brady and goalkeeper Stephen Corcoran, all of whom were dismissed in extra-time incidents while Keaney also walked for 'Boden.


Ballyboden St Enda's: Conor O'Donoghue; James Madden, Luke Corcoran, David O'Connor; Shane Durkin (0-02), Dean Curran, Simon Lambert; David Curtin (0-02), Stephen O'Connor (0-02); Aidan Mellett, Niall McMorrow, Niall Ryan (1-00); Conal Keaney (1-01), Colm Basquel (3-03), Paul Ryan (0-14, 0-11f, 0-01 65).

Subs: Conor Dooley for Niall Ryan (41), Paul Doherty (0-03) for David Curtin (47), Finn McGarry for Stephen O'Connor (53), Malachy Travers for Mellett (59). Mellett (0-01) for Travers (e/t), Conor McCormack for Lambert (73), James Roche for McMorrow (78).

Coolderry: Stephen Corcoran (1-00, 1-00 pen); Stephen Connolly, Trevor Corcoran, Stephen Burke; Barry Teehan, Kevin Brady, Brian Kelly; Mark Bergin (0-01), David King; Conor Molloy, Brian Carroll (2-16, 0-11f), Eoghan Parlon; Kevin Connolly (0-03), Martin Corcoran (0-01), Daniel Miller (1-01).

Subs: Cathal Parlon (0-01) for Martin Corcoran (h/t), Joe Brady for Bergin (47), Declan Parlon (1-01) for Miller (47), William Malone (0-01) for Trevor Corcoran (49). Bergin for Kelly (h/t e/t), Miller for Molloy (76).

Referee: Justin Heffernan (Wexford).