Dr Crokes 3-15 Moyle Rovers 0-08

By Damien Judge at Ardfinnan

Kerry champions Dr Crokes, as expected, made very light work of Tipperary champions Moyle Rovers to advance to the Munster SFC semi-final after a facile win at Ardfinnan.

This game was over as a contest at half-time with two Kieran O'Leary goals coupled with a black card for Moyle Rovers' Liam Boland ruling out any hopes of an upset.

The Tipperary champions tried to get back into it in the second period but any efforts were in vain, even with Crokes ace Michael Burns seeing red for a second yellow in the middle of the second half.

They struggled without the influence of Peter Acheson, who returned to Dubai following their county championship success.

Moyle started well initially with good scores from Liam Boland and Richard Power in answer to a brace of frees from the left boot of Tony Brosnan, but it was clear early on that they would struggle to keep tabs on the movement and interplay of the Crokes forwards.

Rovers were the architects of their own downfall in many ways, gifting two goals to Kieran O’Leary; the first coming in the 12th minute after a poor kick out from Ciaran Kenrick was intercepted on the 14-yard line before O’Leary was fed a hand pass to finish unchallenged to an empty net.

Kieran O'Leary scores a point despite an attempted block by Richard Power

Three points from Michael Burns and an excellent solo effort from Daithi Casey put the Kerry champions in control and when Moyles' most potent attacker Boland was black-carded in the 21st minute, there was a sense of inevitability about the result.

O’Leary’s second goal came just before half-time and when Moyle Rovers full-forward Shane Foley saw red in the 40th minute, Crokes went into cruise control for the remainder.

Despite Burns also receiving his marching orders with ten minutes to go, there was still a big gap between the sides, 2-10 to 0-04 at that stage.

Moyle Rovers notched a couple of excellent scores through Richard Power and Ross Mulcahy to reduce the margin midway through the half.

But Crokes substitute Michael Potts wrapped up the win in stoppage time as Crokes advanced to semi-final clash with Cork champions St Finbarr’s in the Munster semi-final next weekend.

Moyle Rovers: Ciaran Kenrick; Patrick Morrissey, Alan Campbell, Morgan Irwin; David McGrath, Ross Mulcahy (0-01), Luke Boland; Richard Power (0-02) Tadhg Fitzgerald; Dara Ryan(0-02), Stephen Quirke, Aidan McGrath; Liam Boland (0-01) Shane Foley(0-01), Danny Owens.

Subs used: Jack Harney for Patrick Morrissey (19); Diarmuid Foley for Liam Boland (BC 20); Riain Quigley (0-01) for Stephen Quirke (45); Sean Carey for Aidan McGrath (46); Ben Owens for Luke Boland (49).

Dr. Crokes: Shane Murphy; John Payne, Michael Moloney, Fionn Fitzgerald; David O'Leary, Gavin White, Shane Doolan; Johnny Buckley, Daithi Casey(0-01); Michael Burns (0-04), Gavin O'Shea, Brian Looney; David Shaw(0-01), Kieran O'Leary(2-01), Tony Brosnan (0-07, 0-06f).

Subs used: Colm Cooper (0-01) for David Shaw (38); Jordan Kiely for Daithi Casey (43); Michael Potts (1-00) for Shane Doolan (43); Jason Lyne for David O'Leary; Mark O'Shea for Kieran O'Leary (51).

Referee: James Bermingham (Bride Rovers)