Aughawillan 0-14 Mohill 1-09

A stunning second half performance from Aughawillan saw them defeat defending champions Mohill in this afternoon’s Connacht Gold Leitrim SFC final.

The closing stages of the dramatic final saw the victors fight with a renewed belief while the confidence that was oozing from the Mohill players in the opening half appeared to fade.

An impressive opening 30 minutes from Mohill saw them lead at the break, with Ronan Gordon’s 11th minute goal separating the sides at the interval.

Mohill were the better of the sides in the opening but it was Aughawillan who scored first with Ciaran Gilheany on target inside the opening minute.

Domhnaill Flynn replied with a point for Mohill before Aughawillan regained the initiative with a Noel Plunkett point.

Mohill hit back once more in what was a very open game with Keith Beirne on target and in the 11th minute Ronan Gordon got the slightest touch to a dangerous delivery to divert the ball past Aughawillan goalkeeper Colin Maguire and into the goal.

Gary Plunkett replied with a pointed free before Keith Beirne struck for Mohill.

Plunkett, who went on to be named man of the match reduced the deficit to two points shortly afterwards  but Mohill hit back immediately with points from Ronan Gordon and Keith Beirne (free).

Aughawillan enjoyed a purple patch with 10 minutes of the half remaining and scored three points in quick succession with Morgan Quinn and two from Gary Plunkett leaving the bare minimum between the sides.

However, it was the defending champions who were to finish the half the stronger and points from Keith Beirne (free) and Alan McLoughlin gave Mohill a 1-07 to 0-07 cushion at the interval.

Aughawillan were on the field early as they waited for the second half to get underway but it was Mohill who were quickest out of the blocks with Domhnaill Flynn striking to extend their lead.


The second half was seven minutes old before Aughawillan registered their first score of the half with Morgan Quinn converting another free and that was soon followed by point from play from the same player.

With 13 minutes of the game remaining the winners reduced the lead to a solitary point with a stunning effort from Mark Plunkett.

Mohill hit back with a long range effort from Alan McLoughlin and with seven minutes remaining the crowd of 3,500 were in full voice as they tried to cheer their side home.

Incredibly that would prove to be their last score of the afternoon as Aughawillan were resilient in defence and clinical in attack.

A Mark Plunkett '[45 was followed by points from Sean Flanagan, Gary Plunkett and Mark Plunkett as Aughawillan went on to claim their 12th county title.

AughawillanColin Maguire, Declan McGovern, Fergal McTague, Michael Quinn, Sean Quinn, Rory McTague, Barry Prior, Gary Plunkett (0-05, 1f), Mark Plunkett (0-03), Stephen Gilheany, Pearce Dolan, Morgan Quinn (0-03), Niall Beirne, Noel Plunkett (0-01), Ciaran Gilheany (0-01).

Subs: Sean Flanagan for Stephen Gilheany (42)

Mohill: Padraig Tighe, David Mitchell, Alan Armstrong, James Mitchell, Sean Harkin, Caillin Canning, Ciaran Kennedy, Keith Keegan, Shane Quinn, Alan McLoughlin (0-02), Domhnaill Flynn (0-02), Daniel Beck, Ronan Gordon (1-01), Ronan Kennedy, Keith Beirne (0-04).

Subs: Oisin Madden for Keegan (47), Jordan Reynolds for R. Gordon (58)

Referee: Patrick Guckian