Derrygonnelly Harps 2-16 Ederney St. Joseph’s 0-10

Derrygonnelly Harps were crowned Fermanagh senior football champions for the fourth year in succession, after a comprehensive 12-point victory over Ederney St. Joseph’s.

The goals appeared to come at the right times for Derrygonnelly Harps, as Ryan Jones raised a green flag at a crucial stage in the first half and Paul Ward added a crucial goal midway through the second half which ended the game as a contest.

Both sides opted to bring bodies behind the ball, with Derrygonnelly featuring some very strong defensive talent, which they utilised to maximum effect.

The victors opted to leave corner-forward Paul Ward up top on his own for large periods, with Conall Jones and Gary McKenna supporting Ward when the opportunity presented itself.

Both teams were aiming to get a quick counter-attacking move motoring when given the opportunity with fitness playing a massive part in this game.

Ryan Jones’s first half goal was the difference between the teams at the break, as Jones made a surge towards goal and was able to put the ball past the Ederney defenders on the line, who attempted to clear, but ultimately the referee decided that the ball had crossed the line, which was the correct decision.

Ryan Jones and namesake Garvan impressed for Derrygonnelly in the opening half, with the reigning champions looking sharper and more clinical when in possession.

St. Joseph’s certainly did not lack heart and an excellent score from veteran midfielder Marty McGrath gave his side a 0-3 to 0-1 advantage early on.

Jones’s goal appeared to be the momentum changer, as the victors were in control from this point onwards and it was always going to be a difficult task for St. Joeseph’s after the goal.

An excellent effort from Chris Snow left the deficit at three points at half-time with the score-board reading 1-7 to 0-7 in favour of Derrygonnelly.

The second half was very one-sided with Paul Ward receiving a quickly-taken long range free and turning his marker, before finishing past the onlooking goalkeeper.

Derrygonnelly completely dominated from this point onwards, with St. Joseph’s fading away completely

Harps added a series of quickfire points after the goal to kill off the game.

Derrygonnelly Harps:  Jack Kelly; Michael Jones, Tiarnan Daly, Eamon McHugh; Neil Gallagher (0-1), Declan Cassidy, Garvan McGinley; Stephen McGullion, Ryan Jones (1-2); Leigh Jones, Garvan Jones (0-5, 0-3f), Shane McGullion; Paul Ward (1-3), Conall Jones (0-3, 0-1f), Gary McKenna (0-2, 0-1f).

Subs used: Lee Jones for Neil Gallagher (46), Oisin Smyth for Tiarnan Daly (50),Denis Greene foe Lee Jones (53), Damien Cassidy for Sean Cassidy (54), Kevin Cassidy for Shane McGullion (55), Aidan McKenna for Declan Cassidy (59) , Gavin McGovern for Ryan Jones (63, b/c).

Ederney St Joseph’s: Enda Ferris; Manus Maguire, Chris Snow (0-1), Michael Maguire; Aaron Dennison (0-2), John Irvine, Finbarr Gillen; Martin McGrath (0-2), Conor McGee (0-1); Stephen Mc Elrone, Declan McCusker, Ryan Morris; Sean Cassidy, Paul McCusker, Mark Mc Cauley (0-4, 4f).

Subs used: Michael McAleer for Manus Maguire (20), Pol McKervey for Paul McCusker (41), Enda Cassidy for Stephen Mc Elrone (45), Connor Cassidy for Mark Mc Cauley (47), Damien Cassidy for Sean Cassidy (54), Connor Maguire for Michael Maguire (59).

Referee: James Lewis (Newtownbutler).