A "bitterly disappointed" Monaghan manager Malachy O'Rourke said he could not understand why there was only three minutes of additional time played in his team's one-point defeat to Tyrone in the All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

The Red Hand set up a showdown with the Dubs as they dug out a 1-13 to 0-15 victory at Croke Park to make their first decider in ten years. 

O'Rourke heaped praise on his players but was left frustrated by what he perceived to be an insufficient amount of time added on by referee Anthony Nolan.

"I thought the free count against us... we had to work very hard for frees," he told RTÉ Sport.

"It's the first match all year that I've been involved in that we got three minutes [of stoppage time]. Even at the end I thought the referee had his hand up for a free in and he didn't give it.

"There's a number of things we'd be very disappointed with but we can do nothing about it now. We're just bitterly disappointed we came out the wrong side of it. 

"All year in the games we've played we've had seven minutes of additional time, eight minutes of additional time. I thought every sub that went on to the field was 20 or 30 seconds. I can't understand it. I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong but I can't understand why there was only three minutes.

"I'm not taking anything away from Tyrone. We're bitterly disappointed with the way a couple of things went."

It was a real arm wrestle in Dublin between two sides who know each other inside out.

Level at the break, Monaghan went in front for the first time in the 62nd minute thanks to a Conor McManus score.

But they couldn't close it out. Niall Sludden's goal turned the tide again in Tyrone's favour and it is they who'll attempt to deny Jim Gavin's Sky Blues a fourth All-Ireland on the bounce. 

"I'm very, very disappointed," O'Rourke added. "We left everything on the field. The boys showed tremendous resilience and fighting qualities and I thought we got ourselves in a good position.

"Their goal came a really bad time for us but again we fought back. We're just disappointed we didn't get something out of the game."