Peter Duggan landed two points deep into stoppage time to secure a dramatic victory for Clare and send Tipperary crashing out of the 2018 title race.

It was Clare’s first win over Tipperary in the championship in 15 years but they showed great heart and composure to come from behind and snatch it at the death.

Tipp, whose 2018 campaign was saved up to now by two dramatic comebacks, were this time the victims as the Banner County came from eight points down at one stage to secure a thrilling victory.

It is Clare’s first championship victory over Tipperary at Semple Stadium in 92 and they will now host Clare in Ennis next Sunday in what will essentially be a Munster semi-final.

Tipperary led by 1-10 to 0-09 at the interval despite not scoring for the closing 12 minutes of the first-half.

The gap might have been closer had Clare not shot eight wides to Tipperary’s four during the opening half.

But Clare didn’t manage to get quality ball into their full-forward line and surprisingly withdrew Conor McGrath just before the interval even though little or no ball had gone in to him, John Conlon or Shane O’Donnell.

In contrast, Tipperary looked sharp and Michael Ryan’s men made the better start to lead by 1-06 to 0-02 at the end of the opening quarter.

Clare were unable to get quality ball into their dangerous full-forward line but at the other end Tipperary were sharp and an early free from Peter Duggan was responded to by three points in a row from Jason Forde, the first two from frees.

Tipperary pushed further ahead with a superb point from the right by Ronan Maher.

Shane O'Donnell celebrates at the final whistle

But the big score of the opening half came after 13 minutes when Billy McCarthy latched on to a breaking ball and soloed through to blast home an excellent goal.

They continued to push ahead and led by 1-07 to 0-03 after 20 minutes and while Duggan hit back for Clare with three points from frees, the McGrath brothers John and Noel found the range for Tipperary to lead by 1-10 to 0-05 after 26 minutes.

But Tipperary didn’t score again before the break as Clare, finally delivering some quality ball into their attack, scored the last four points of the half with two each from Duggan and Tony Kelly.

McCarthy’s goal continued to be the difference between the sides throughout the third quarter, although the introduction of Podge Collins added a lot to the Clare attack.

Tipp looked set to romp home when John McGrath and Forde pointed to extend Tipp’s lead to 1-18 to 0-16 with 13 minutes left on the clock and the Clare supporters in the crowd of 20,782 feared the worst.

Tipperary should have wrapped up the issue five minutes from time when John McGrath and Cathal Barrett combined to send Jake Morris through but his shot from a tight angle came back off the woodwork.

The game then turned as Clare broke downfield for Collins to set up another sub Ian Galvin a superb goal.

Seamie Callanan hit back for Tipp to make it 1-20 to 1-18 before John Conlon and another Duggan free tied the match in 72nd minute.

Five additional minutes were indicated and Noel McGrath edged Tipp back in front but almost immediately Collins levelled.

And it was then that Duggan seized the initiative breaking through only to have a goal shot deflected over the bar off Padraic Maher.

And seconds later he sealed a famous Clare win with an audacious point from the right touchline, sparking off huge Clare celebrations.

Clare: Donal Tuohy; Pat O’Connor, David McInerney, Jack Browne (0-01); David Fitzgerald, Conor Cleary, Jamie Shanahan; Colm Galvin, Cathal Malone; Peter Duggan (0-15, 0-13f), Tony Kelly (0-02), David Reidy; Conor McGrath, John Conlon (0-02), Shane O’Donnell.

Subs used: Podge Collins (0-03) for McGrath (35), Seadna Morey for Fitzgerald (47), Ian Galvin (1-00) for Reidy (59), Jason McCarthy for Malone (62), Darragh Corry for Galvin (63).

Tipperary: Brian Hogan; Sean O’Brien, Seamus Kennedy, Donagh Maher; Joe O’Dwyer, Padraic Maher (0-01), Brendan Maher; Ronan Maher (0-01), Cathal Barrett (0-01); Dan McCormack, Patrick Maher (0-01), Billy McCarthy (1-00); Seamus Callanan (0-02), Jason Forde (0-10, 0-08f, 0-01 65), John McGrath (0-03).

Subs used: Noel McGrath (0-02) for McCormack (10), Jake Morris for Patrick Maher (61), Alan Flynn for Kennedy (61), Willie Connors for B Maher (65), John O’Dywer for J McGrath (74).

Referee: Paud O’Dwyer (Carlow).