Luke Connolly scored ten points and Cork advanced to the Munster SFC final after a 1-17 to 0-09 win over Tipperary at Semple Stadium in Thurles.

The returning corner-forward was in outstanding form for his side with six first-half points as Colm O'Neill's goal meant Cork held a 1-08 to 0-04 lead at the interval.

Ronan McCarthy was in search of his championship victory in charge of Cork, and his side excelled late on again, with Paul Kerrigan twice on target after his late introduction as they reach the decider against Clare or Kerry in three weeks' time.

Tipperary manager Liam Kearns was disappointed with his side’s fixture schedule and the six-day turnaround after their 0-20 to 0-09 quarter-final win over Waterford. 

Steven O’Brien and Conor Sweeney were added to the Tipperary starting 15 before throw-in, but it was Cork’s Connolly who got the first point of the game in the sixth minute.

Connolly was playing his first inter-county game this year, having dedicated the early part of 2018 to Nemo Rangers’ run to the All-Ireland club final.

Sean White doubled Cork’s lead before former All Star Michael Quinlivan finally opened Tipperary’s account in the tenth minute.

The Clonmel Commericals clubman was looking dangerous and two minutes later he turned full back Jamie O’Sullivan before he forced a good save from goalkeeper Mark White.

White was making his championship debut and he made another great intervention in the 19thminute when Quinlivan put Liam Casey through one-on-one, but White was equal to his shot.

Brian Hurley punches the air at the final whistle

When Liam McGrath scored in the 22nd minute, Tipperary were level but they wouldn’t score again until he did, with one minute of normal time remaining in the first-half.

In the meantime Cork registered 1-4, Connolly was on target with three stunning efforts, while he was also involved in Colm O’Neill’s goal in the 31stminute.

Shane O’Connell wrestled the ball clear of Connolly close to the Tipperary goal but O’Neill was on hand to blast to the net. Connolly tapped over the final point of the half and Cork were in a comfortable 1-08 to 0-04 half-time lead.

Connolly scored the first point of the second-half too and Cork were on their way, with Collins and Connolly again pushing them into a 1-11 to 0-04 lead.

Tipperary lost their captain Robbie Kiely to a dead leg, but to their credit they rallied with points from McGrath (two), Liam Boland and Philip Austin.

But once Connolly scored his ninth point, a free in the 62ndminute, Cork retained their confidence and cruised to a big victory,while Tipperary had Jack Kennedy black carded at the death.

Cork: Mark White; Kevin Crowley, Jamie O’Sullivan, Kevin Flahive; Sean White (0-01), Stephen Cronin, Tomas Clancy; Aidan Walsh, Ian Maguire; Kevin O’Driscoll, Mark Collins (0-03), Ruairi Deane; John O’Rourke, Colm O’Neill (1-00), Luke Connolly (0-10, 0-05 frees).

Subs used: Brian Hurley (0-01) for O’Neill (47), Ronan O’Toole for O’Driscoll (56), Peter Kelleher for Walsh (58), Paul Kerrigan (0-02) for O’Rourke (58), James Loughrey for Sean White (63), Matthew Taylor for Clancy (68).

Tipperary: Evan Comerford; Stephen O’Connell, John Meagher, Alan Campbell; Bill Maher, Robbie Kiely, Jimmy Feehan; Liam Casey, Jack Kennedy (0-01, free); Josh Keane, Steven O’Brien, Brian Fox; Conor Sweeney Michael Quinlivan (0-01), Liam McGrath (0-05, 0-04 frees).

Subs used: Philip Austin (0-01) for Feehan (35), Kevin Fahey for Kiely (46), Liam Boland (0-01) for Casey (49), Jason Lonergan for Keane (67), Kevin O’Halloran for Sweeney (67).

Ref – Anthony Nolan (Wicklow).