The drama flowed during injury-time as Rory O'Connor headlined a decisive late burst by Wexford, which denied determined Dublin in a riveting conclusion to this Leinster SHC round-robin contest.

Although Wexford appeared in command at 0-16 to 1-8 after 51 minutes, a 61st-minute Paul Ryan goal inspired a rousing charge by Dublin as they suddenly seized control by 2-13 to 0-8 after 65 minutes.

But the locals refused to bow and Rory O'Connor emerged as the hero of the day with a couple of priceless points in added-time being greeted by thunderous cheers from the locals amongst the 10,228 attendance.

Dublin are now without a point after two games as they face into a home fixture against Offaly and a difficult away trip to Galway, for which they will be anxious to have Conal Keaney back from injury having sorely missed his influence against Wexford.

A couple of Paul Ryan frees gave Dublin the early initiative (0-2 to 0-1) before Wexford asserted themselves by 0-5 to 0-2 after 12 minutes as Rory O'Connor led the way with three frees.

But Dublin rocked the locals on 13 minutes when an attempted Wexford clearance was intercepted and led indirectly to midfielder Rian McBride netting to level matters on 1-2 to 0-3.

Liam Rushe was a force in attack for Dublin

Wexford squandered some promising situations as the sides shared the next four scores before Rory O'Connor momentarily pointed Wexford back in front on 0-8 to 1-14. Jack Malone and defender Paddy Smyth turned the tide back in favour of Dublin before the Dubs had a massive let off when Paul Morris spurned a gilt-edged goaling opportunity.

Regardless, Wexford clawed out a 0-10 to 1-6 lead at the interval as Rory O'Connor fired over his sixth and seventh frees.

Wexford shook off some of their earlier rustiness as they hummed better during the third quarter to forge ahead by 0-16 to 1-8 midway through the closing-half courtesy of Jack O'Connor, Aidan Nolan, Diarmuid O'Keeffe, Rory O'Connor (2) and Pádraig Foley (free).

But Dublin certainly illustrated no ill-effects of their opening-round frustration against Kilkenny as they mounted a promising charge when reeling-off 1-3 without reply between the 58th and 65th minutes to seize the initiative by 2-13 to 0-18, with Paul Ryan bagging a tidy 61st-minute goal.

Wexford got back level through a Rory O'Connor free. But sub David Treacy appeared to have Dublin back on the brink of victory at 2-14 to 0-19.

However, the Model County sent the decibel levels soaring with a late charge to victory, as Rory O'Connor levelled from a free before adding a monstrous score from play, and sub Harry Kehoe wrapped up the result to leave Wexford ecstatic but immensely relieved as they head to Offaly next Saturday.

Wexford: Mark Fanning; Damien Reck, Liam Ryan, Simon Donohoe; Diarmuid O'Keeffe (0-1), Pádraig Foley (0-2, 0-1 free), Matthew O'Hanlon; Aidan Nolan (0-1), Kevin Foley (0-1); Lee Chin (0-2), Shaun Murphy, Jack O'Connor (0-1); Paul Morris (0-1), Conor McDonald, Rory O'Connor (0-12, 11 frees).

Subs: Harry Kehoe (0-1) for McDonald (55); Cathal Dunbar for Morris (61).

Dublin: Alan Nolan; Paddy Smyth (0-1), Cian O'Callaghan, Bill O'Carroll; Chris Crummey, Seán Moran, Eoghan O'Donnell; Jake Malone (0-1), Shane Barrett; Rian McBride (1-1), Fiontánn Mac Gib, Danny Sutcliffe (0-1); Fergal Whitely, Liam Rushe (0-1), Paul Ryan (1-7, 0-6 frees, 0-1 '65).

Subs: Tomás Connolly for Barrett (43); Cian Boland (0-1) for Whitley (43); David Treacy (0-1) for O'Carroll (51); Ronan Hayes for O'Donnell (60); 25 Paul Winters for McGibb (60).

Referee: Colm Lyons (Cork).