Derry defeated Dublin by 0-17 to 0-14 to set up an All-Ireland MFC meeting with champions Kerry.

Four David Lacey points and two each from James Doran and Ross McGarry helped Dublin to a 0-8 to 0-7 interval lead, with Patrick Quinn hitting four Derry scores.

Doran and Lacey helped the Dubs to a two points lead midway through the second half, but the Oak Leafers defended brilliantly, and Lorcan McWilliams and twin brother Oisin, along with Ben McCarron, grabbed the vital scores that sent them through to the decider.

Doran capped a brilliant Dublin display with six points from play

McGarry shot the Dubs in front early on, but three Patrick Quigg scores, two of them from frees, had the Ulster champions in front.

Dublin midfielder Donal Ryan had a terrific personal battle with Oisin McWilliams as both sides fought to establish a platform in the central area.

It was Rafferty who helped the Oak Leafers push on for a couple of scores, including a splendid Mark McGrogan effort, as they moved into a 0-5 to 0-2 lead by the 11th minute.

But the Leinster champions began to impose themselves on the contest, with bustling centre forward James Doran running strongly at the opposition defence, and his creamer just cleared the crossbar as they trimmed the deficit back to one.

Oisín McWilliams (L) was central to Derry's second half performance

David Lacey’s third free brought the sides level, and it was McGarry who regained the lead for Tom Gray’s side for the first time since the fourth minute.

McGarry almost had a goal as well when he cut in from the right to fire in a shot which was well-saved by Oran Hartin.

Quigg levelled for the fourth time, before Lacey sent Dublin in with a 0-8 to 0-7 interval lead.

Twin brothers Oisín and Lorcan McWilliams were both on target as Derry closed the gap, but danger man Doran added a couple more to his tally to keep the Dubs ahead in the opening stages of the second half.

Heading into the final quarter, they were still clinging on to a slender one point lead, after Lacey’s well struck 48 metre free was cancelled out by Lorcan McWilliams.

Richie Mullan’s brilliant score brought Derry level for the seventh time in the 46th minute, and these sides looked inseparable,

Neil Matthews, Kieran Kennedy and Ryan all pushed themselves to the limit as the Dubs searched for those vital scores, but with five minutes to play, the Ulster lads were two ahead, and Dublin looked like they would pay the price from erratic finishing, and so it proved.

Oran McGill and Conor McCluskey stood tall at the back, and subs Declan Cassidy and Fergal Mortimer came in to make an impact.

And when the pressure frees were there to be kicked, Lorcan McWilliams was cool as ice, with accuracy to match.

Doran did bring his tally to six, all from play, but the insurance point came from substitute John Paul Devlin on the breakaway, after Oisin McWilliams had put in a terrific turnover tackle.

Derry return to the decider for the first time since 2007, when Galway defeated them by the narrowest of margins.

Dublin: D O’Hanlon, D Maher, P O Cofaigh Byrne, L Flatman; K Kennedy, N Matthews, E O’Dea; D Ryan, J Doran (0-06), K Lynch Bissett; R McGarry (0-02), S Hawkshaw (0-01), D Lacey (0-05, 4f).

Subs: F O’Sullivan for Brennan (40), C Archer for Hawkshaw (46), G Nangle for O Cofaigh Byrne (51), A Byrne for for Lynch Bissett (58), L Doran for Maher (62), N O’Leary for Kennedy (65, BC)

Derry: O Martin; O McGill, C McCluskey, S McKeever; S McErlain, P McGrogan, C McShane; O McWilliams (0-01), D Rafferty; P Quigg (0-04, 3f), R Mullan (0-01), O Quinn; B McCarron (0-03, 2f), L McWilliams (0-06, 5f), M McGrogan (0-01).

Subs: F Mortimer for Rafferty (29), C Browne for Quinn (h-t), D Cassidy for Quigg (35), M Bradley for McErlain (55), JP Devlin (0-01) for McCarron (58)

Referee: S Lonergan (Tipperary)