Waterford manager Derek McGrath says he is disappointed to lose Conor Gleeson for the All-Ireland hurling final, but says the disciplinary hearing was a "fair" one.

The Fourmilewater man lost his appeal to the Central Hearings Committee (CHC) failed on Monday night and the All-Ireland finalists have decided not to pursue it any further.

The player went before the committee in an effort to have the red card he picked up in the semi-final win over Cork rescinded but the decision was upheld by the CHC.

Gleeson was sent off along with Cork's Patrick Horgan for striking with minimal force in the last-four clash on 13 August.

McGrath has now accepted that he will be without Gleeson for the clash with Galway.

"Conor will be a massive loss to us, a key defender for us who has been performing man-marking tasks for the last three games really admirably," he told RTÉ Sport, though added the hearing was "fair".

"I’m gutted for him and his family.

"We’ve decided, i.e. ourselves, Conor his family not to pursue it any further.

"Our angle of approach was to maybe have the red down downgraded to yellow. Unfortunately it wasn’t successful.

"We’ve accepted the findings of the hearing committee and we move on."

While management pushed Tadhg de Burca's case all the way to the Disputes Resolutions Authority (DRA), the final stage of the appeals process after his red card against Wexford, McGrath believes this case is a different scenario.

"Looking at the Tadhg incident that we have been involved with for the past couple of weeks, we didn’t feel it was a distraction when we were doing the right thing.

"It’s more difficult to overturn Conor’s one. That’s the reason behind it," he said, adding that Gleeson will still be part of the final preparations.

One player who will be available is 2016 Hurler of the Year Austin Gleeson.

The Mount Sion man came under fire following the All-Ireland semi-final when he pulled the helmet from the head of Cork’s Luke Meade, grabbing it by the faceguard.

Referee James Owens informed the (CCCC) that he was happy with his officiating of the incident so the case was closed.

McGrath says that while it became a huge talking point around the country, he was convinced Gleeson would face no retrospective sanctions,

"We were fairly confident," he said.

"In the last couple of weeks we have learned more about judicial reviews and the law in general having immersed ourselves in the Tadhg case.

"It was fairly clear to us that the adjudication had taken place on site. It became a national debate but not among ourselves as a group."

We need your consent to load this SoundCloud contentWe use SoundCloud to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences