The Nire (Waterford) 2-15 Carbery Rangers (Cork) 1-13 AET

The Nire reached a third Munster SFC final after overcoming Carbery Rangers by 2-15 to 1-13 after extra-time in Clonakilty.

While the Waterford champions were 1-08 to 0-05 down following points from Kieran Fitzpatrick and Jerry O’Riordan for Carbery Rangers, they found a way back into the game through Liam Lawlor’s goal as he netted the rebound after Conor Gleeson’s shot hit the crossbar.

When Brian Wall and Gleeson added points, they were just a point behind and though Brian Hodnett’s fine score pushed the Rosscarbery side two ahead, they were finding themselves under growing pressure.

The Nire were level when Wall’s fifth point was followed by Gleeson’s third and then they hit the front as Wall converted yet another free. They were on top at midfield now but John Hayes – who found Tom O’Gorman a difficult opponent throughout, apart from when he snaffled an early goal to make it 1-01 to 0-00 – sent over a good free to tie at 1-10 each on 58 minutes.

Gleeson profited from good play by O’Gorman and Darren Guiry to put The Nire in front again but, in the third minute of injury-time John Hayes’s delivery broke and his brother Séamus, introduced as a sub after he was unable to start, fisted over after winning the break and extra-time was required.

In the first minute of the additional period, Brian Shanahan put Carbery Rangers back in front but it was to be the last time they led.

Darren Guiry – now on frees after Brian Wall had had to retire – levelled again, sub Jake Mulcahy put them in front and then they moved four in front as captain Shane Walsh goaled, keeping his composure following a defensive slip close to the Ross goal.

Kieran Fitzpatrick might have got the goal to bring the Cork champions back into it in the second period of extra-time but Tommy Wall’s brilliant save – in which the keeper sustained a facial injury, forcing him to be replaced – denied him.

From there, The Nire weren’t going to be stopped, and they will face Dr Crokes in a repeat of the 2006 final in a fortnight.

The Nire: T Wall; T O'Gorman, J McGrath, J Barron; S Ryan, J Walsh, D Ryan; S Walsh (1-00), Dylan Guiry (0-01); B Wall (0-06f, 0-05 frees), S Lawlor, C Guiry; C Gleeson (0-05), L Lawlor (1-00), Darren Guiry (0-02, 0-01 free). 

Subs: K Guiry for C Guiry (51), J Mulcahy (0-01) for Lawlor (57), Lawlor for B Wall (60, injured), C Mulcahy for J Walsh (77, injured), D Murphy for T Wall (77, injured), K Brazil for Lawlor (80).

Carbery Rangers: R Milner; J O'Riordan (0-01), T O'Rourke, M Kelly; S Murray, R Kiely, P Hodnett; B Shanahan (0-04, 0-02 fres), J Fitzpatrick; A Jennings, K MacMahon (0-01), B Hodnett (0-02); C O'Donovan, C O'Rourke, J Hayes (1-03, 0-03 frees). 

Subs: R Hegarty for Murray (15, injured), K Fitzpatrick (0-01) for C O’Rourke (half-time), S Hayes (0-01) for O’Donovan (44), M Mennis for Jennings (45), A Roche for Kelly (49), M Ronan for Thomas O’Rourke (58), Kelly for P Hodnett (68), Jennings for B Hodnett (half-time in extra time), O’Donovan for Mennis (72, black card).

Referee: P O’Sullivan (Kerry).