Corofin 0-16 Salthill-Knocknacarra 0-11

Nine points from Jason Leonard gave Corofin their fourth Galway SFC title in a row as they ran out 0-16 to 0-11 winners over Salthill-Knocknacrra.

Even without the services of Gary Sice, Corofin were easy winners as Sean Armstrong and Robert Finnerty kicked ten of Salthill’s points between them.

The champions were six up at the interval, but they never looked like losing this one, even when Salthill-Knocknacarra cut their lead to three points with 13 minutes to go.

Sice missed out for Corofin due to a hamstring injury, but they had a quality replacement to come in in his place as Michael Lundy made his first start of the year, following a stint in America.

And it only took the Galway senior 25 seconds to get on the scoreboard when he linked well with Daithi Burke for the opening score.

After three minutes Corofin led 0-03 to 0-00 as Ian Burke and Michael Farragher also hit the target, although room to settle in front of goal was often too available to them in the early stages.

Former Galway senior Armstrong still looked to be one of the best forwards on the pitch and his four first-half points kept his side in touch, while youngster Robert Finnerty and Marcus MacDonnacha also impressed playing off him.

But after that Armstrong score, Corofin went on to score four of the next five points as Leonard began to show his class up front for the champions.

Armstrong and Tadhg Haran frees meant Salthill brought their tally to five by the break, but Leonard and Ian Burke added four more for Corofin as they led by six at half-time.

Galway minor start Robert Finnerty had done well from open play in the opening half, but it wasn’t until the 35th minute that he kicked his first point – a free – that trimmed Corofin’s lead to five.

After a brilliant score from Armstrong was added to by a pair of frees from Finnerty, Salthill were only three points behind, but at the other end Leonard continued to add to his personal tally.

Points number seven and eight arrived for Leonard as he extended the lead to five again, and once wing-back Kieran Molloy pointed there was no way back for Salthill-Knocknacarra.

In the dying minutes Salthill-Knocknacarra substitute Peter Killeen was sent off after he earned a second yellow card – he was only introduced a minutes from the end of normal time – but that had no impact on Corofin’s straightforward win.

Corofin: B Power; C Cunningham, L Silke, C Silke; K Fitzgerald, C McGrath, K Molloy (0-01); D Burke, R Steede; B O’Donovan, D Wall, J Leonard (0-08, 0-03f); M Lundy (0-02), M Farragher (0-02), I Burke (0-02)

Subs: A Burke for O’Donovan (32-39, blood), A Burke for O’Donovan (44), C Brady for Wall (56), K Murphy for Leonard (61), D Canney for Lundy (64), C Brady for Fitzgerald (65)

Salthill-Knocknacarra: E Duffy; E Wynne, F Hanley, C Halloran; R McTiernan, W Finnerty, G Duffy; C Healy, B Kelly; J Maher, R Butler, T Haran (0-01, 0-01f); R Finnerty (0-04, 0-03f), M MacDonnacha, S Armstrong (0-06, 0-02f)

Subs: B Conlon for Armstrong (32-37, blood), G Cox for Butler (42), J Killeen for W Finnerty (52), P Killeen for Maher (58), S Kelly for MacDonncha (60)

Referee: Tomás Ó Fátharta (Galway)