Tipperary star Noel McGrath heaped praise on younger brother John as his hat-trick fired the Premier County to another Munster hurling title.

The younger McGrath settled Tipp into the game by finding the net in the ninth minute before two strikes in eight second-half minutes sparked a 5-19 to 0-13 demolition job of neighbours Waterford in Thurles.

Tipperary led by just two at the break but with Seamus Callanan adding 1-11, the Deise were swept aside aas the game worn on, leaving half forward Noel McGrath to laud the drive shown by the men in blue.

"The first half was dogged enough and we were against whatever bit of a breeze was in it," he told RTÉ Sport.

"We stuck in there well, the hurling wasn't very open, and at half-time we said it was going to be a big time in our year. 

"We were either going to drive it on we could be looking at a quarter-final in a couple of weeks.

"From the start of the second half there was a serious drive there from one to 15, and we were delighted to get out with the result at the end.

"He was flying it there today. He was just getting on the end of all the balls and putting them in the net"

"Going into the back door you don't know who you'll be coming up against and there's tough games in there. 

"The best way to do it is to keep winning and put more silverware away. We're delighted with the Munster championship - there's some lads out there getting their first and it's something they'll always cherish."

One of those players winning their first Munster title was corner-forward John, and his elder sibling conceded that the 2012 minor All-Ireland winner had done pretty well on the big stage.

"He was flying it there today. He was just getting on the end of all the balls and putting them in the net.

"That's the job that has to be done and in fairness to him, in his first Munster final he didn't do too bad."

While he was the man to grab the headlines with the first Munster final hat-trick since Tipperary legend Lar Corbett's 2011 treble, John McGrath passed on his appreciation for the team-mates who provided him with the ammunition to fire Tipp into the All-Ireland semi-finals.

"I didn't come down thinking that was going to happen but I just tried to work as hard as I could and get on whatever balls that the boys were giving in," the 21-year-old said.

"They were working hard outside to give us loads and loads of ball and things broke for us today I suppose.

"We're just thrilled with the result - we got what we came for."

McGrath admitted to feeling tense ahead of the game and was delighted to raise a green flag early in the game to settle his nerves.

"The first one was nice and helped me settle into the game.

"As Noel said it was my first Munster final and you would be that bit nervous but to get that score early settled me down and really helped me to get into my rhythm and concentrate on the game."