Fermanagh 0-19 Wexford 1-11

Fermanagh delivered an inspired second-half display to dispose of a spirited Wexford side in the Qualifier Round 1B championship game played at Innovage Wexford Park.

From the opening exchanges it was evident this was going to turn into a dogfight as little separated the sides.

The first-half produced some excellent attacking football at both ends but it was Fermanagh who needed the scores playing with the aid of a stiff breeze.

With Wexford getting off to a sluggish start, they took full advantage by racing into a 0-04 to 0-01 lead inside the opening eight minutes, with Sean Quigley pointing them in front inside 60 seconds with a huge 50-metre free.

Donal Shanley brought the home side level with a free but the Ulster side struck back with three unanswered points through Tomas Corrigan and two Quigley frees.

Wexford were playing in attacking bursts as they withdrew two attackers behind the ball and a Shanley free kept them in touch.

The visitors were testing the Wexford full-back line and midfielder Eoin Donnelly picked out Quigley with a delightful ball inside, but the full-forward's rising shot rebounded back of the crossbar.

Corrigan tacked over a point to ensure his side got something from the foray.

Wexford were struggling for scores from play with Shanley their frees their main threat, while an Aidan Breen point left the visitors leading 0-06 to 0-04 after 18 minutes.

It was not until the 20th minute that Wexford had their opening score from play through John Tubritt, before Wexford took the lead against the run of play

Tubritt cut inside and found Simon Donohoe, who shot low across keeper Christopher Snow into the farcorner of the net to give his side a 1-05 to 0-06 lead.

The sides continued to trade points but Fermanagh worked their way back to parity before a Donnolly point in added time gave them to a 0-10 to 1-06 interval lead.

Wexford started the second half brightly with points from Tubritt and Ben Brosnan, but Fermanagh saw a second effort rebound off the crossbar, this time from Ryan Jones.

The sides were level again when Tomas Corrigan's free made it 0-11 to 1-8, and things looked evenly poised until Fermanagh midfielder Richard O’Callaghan was black carded on 45 minutes

Jones dropped back into midfield and assumed total control of this sector and with Corrigan kicking some wonderful points both from play and frees, the northerners stormed into a 0-17 to 1-9 lead with eight minutes remaining.

Although Wexford managed to reduce the deficit with points from Tubritt and sub Shane Roche it was Fermanagh who re-established by the end, finishing with points from Corrigan and Richard Breen to advance into the next round draw.

Fermanagh scorers: T Corrigan (5f) 0-9; S Quigley (2f) 0-4; A Breen, E Donnelly 0-2 each; B Mulrone, R Corrigan 0-1 each.
Wexford scorers: S Donohoe 1-0; D Shanley 0-4 frees; J Tubritt 0-3; B Brosnan 0-2; K O’Grady, S Roche 0-1 each.

Wexford: A Masterson; J Rossiter, N Rossiter, J Wadding; B Malone, S Byrne, S Donohoe; C Kehoe, D Waters; K O’Grady, A Flynn, E Nolan; D Shanley, B Brosnan, J Tubritt. Subs: P J Banville for yrne (46); K Butler for Flynn (50); S Roche for Shanley (58);  R Tierney for O’Grady (62); P Murphy for Masterson (62).
Fermanagh: C Snow; M Jones, C Cullen, M O’Brien; D McCusker, J McMahon, A Breen; E Donnelly, R O’Callaghan; B Mulrone, R Jones, P McCusker; R Corrigan, S Quigley, T Corrigan. Subs: C McManus for Jones (ht); C Flaherty for O’Callaghan (B.C. 45); J Duffy for McCusker (58); D Kelly for D McCusker (72).
Referee: E Kinsella (Laois).