Galway 2-19 Offaly 2-09

There will be a repeat of the All-Ireland final in a fortnight after Galway advanced to a Leinster final meeting with champions Kilkenny.

The Tribesmen had to come from behind in difficult conditions at O’Moore Park in a game where both sides finished with 14 men.

A goal in the first minute from Offaly's Joe Bergin gave Galway a fright and Offaly led 1-07 to 1-06 at the break despite losing captain Colin Egan to a red card.

Galway had the wind behind them in the second half and they started brilliantly as Conor Cooney's goal in the 38th minute saw them capitalise on their numerical advantage.

A Shane Dooley penalty in the 57th minute brought Offaly within six points but the Tribesmen were too strong as they closed out the game to win by nine points.

Offaly made a perfect start to the game as Bergin netted after just 15 seconds as he put the ball past Colm Callanan in the Galway goal.

Points from Dooley and Dermot Mooney saw the Faithful County lead 1-02 to 0-00 after just four minutes.

Galway needed to get into the game and points from Joe Canning and Cooney settled them after eight minutes.

Galway drew level when Niall Burke scored thier first goal on 13 minutes, beating James Dempsey.

James Mulrooney and Dooley pointed for Offaly as they looked to cancel out Burke's goal but they suffered a blow on 27 minutes as captain Colin Egan was dismissed by referee Colm Lyons for a heavy challenge on Fergal Moore.

Galway looked to make the most of their numerical advantage as Cooney and Canning (free) raised white flags to bring Galway level after 31 minutes.

Dooley scored the last point of the half for Offaly to give them a slender one point lead with the score 1-07 to 1-06 at half time.

The score saw Dooley become Offaly’s all-time top scorer in the championship, edging past Brian Carroll’s record of 5-194.

With the wind at their backs after the break, Cooney slotted the Tribesmen's second goal of the contest in the 38th minute.

It was the beginning of a fruitful passage of play for Galway as they looked to put some daylight between the sides.

Galway led by nine points before Bergin won a penalty for Offaly in the 57th minute.

The ever-reliable Dooley converted to bring Offaly back into the game as they trailed 2-15 to 2-09.

Cooney was red carded for Galway after 59 minutes for an off-the-ball incident as Galway's numerical advantage was nullified.

But it mattered little as Cyril Donnellan and Canning scored late points to secure victory and progression to the Leinster Final on 3 July.

Galway: C Callanan; J Coen, J Hanbury, F Moore; P Mannion (0-02), Daithi Burke, A Harte; David Burke (0-02), D Glennon; N Burke (1-00), J Cooney (0-02), J Canning (0-08, 0-06 frees, 0-01 '65); C Whelan (0-1), C Mannion, C Cooney (1-03).

Subs: C Donnellan (0-01) for Glennon (47 mins), J Flynn for N Burke (51 mins), A Smith for David Burke (71 mins).

Offaly: J Dempsey; N Wynne, P Rigney, C McDonald; D King, S Gardiner, D Mooney (0-01); S Ryan, P Murphy (0-01); S Kinsella, S Dooley (1-05, 1-00 pen, 0-04 frees), J Mulrooney (0-01); K Connolly, J Bergin (1-01), C Egan.

Subs: K Kiely for Mulrooney (36 mins), E Nolan for Connolly (36 mins), P Guinan for Ryan (45 mins), S Cleary for Murphy (68 mins).

Referee: Colm Lyons (Cork)