Roscommon 4-16 Sligo 2-13

Roscommon outscored Sligo by 4-10 to 0-05 in the second-half of a thrilling Connacht SFC semi-final at Dr Hyde Park.

Goals from Adrian Marren and Kyle Cawley helped Sligo open up a 2-8 to 0-6 interval lead having played with the wind.

But Roscommon came storming back after the break with Senan Kilbride fisting to the net before captain Ciarain Murtagh struck for two goals and Enda Snith also found the net to wrap it in in the closing stages.

Sligo led by 2-08 to 0-06 at the end of an entertaining opening half where Niall Carew’s men used the wind well.

Roscommon’s short passing game did not open the Sligo defence and they found scores hard to come by, while they also guilty of missing a couple of good goal chances with Cathal Cregg and Donie Shine failing to make the most of good chances.

Sligo, who made two late changes including the drafting of Leaving Cert student Kyle Cawley, hauled back an early Roscommon lead and the sides were tied at 0-04 each at the end of the opening quarter.

Then Sligo got the first major breakthrough after 21 minutes when Adrian Marren fired home a penalty after Pat Hughes was fouled by Sean Mullooly.

Midfielder Niall Murphy added his second point from distance as Sligo raced into a double scores lead.

Ciarain Murtagh and David Keenan hit back with points for Roscommon but Sligo finished the half strongly.

Marren and Hughes kicked points but then Marren picked up a black card for pulling David Murray back.

But they pulled further in front when Hughes kicked a third superb point and then just before the break Leaving Cert student Cawley finished the ball to the net after his initial effort was taken off the line by Murray to lead by 2-8 to 0-6 at the interval.

But it all changed on the resumption. Senan Kilbride connected to a long delivery to fist the ball to the net just 30 seconds after the restart and that set the tone for the second-half.

Sligo responded initially but the flood of attacks proved too much and the Rossies drew level after 50 minutes when captain Ciarain Cregg blasted to the net after a fine move to make it 2-10 apiece.

Murtagh followed with a point and then converted a penalty after Kilbride was fouled.

There was no way back for Sligo as Roscommon went on to outscore them by 4-10 to 0-05 in the second-half, with Enda Smith getting the fourth goal in the closing stages.

Roscommon: G Claffey (0-01, 0-01 ’45); S McDermott, S Mullooly, N McInerney; S Purcell, J McManus (0-01), D Murray; N Daly, D Shine (0-02); F Cregg (0-1f), C Murtagh (2-02, 0-01f, 1-00 pen), C Devaney (0-03); S Kilbride (1-00), C Cregg, D Keenan (0-03).

Subs: N Collins for Purcell (40), E Smith (0-02) for C Cregg (50), D Smith for Kilbride (1-01) (59), C Compton for Shine (59), N Kilroy for F Cregg (69), J McDermott for Keenan (70)

Sligo: A Devaney; D Maye, K McDonnell, E Flanagan; Keelan Cawley, A McIntyre, B Egan; N Murphy (0-02), N Gaughan; N Ewing, M Breheny (0-03, 0-03 frees), C Harrison; A Marren (1-03, 1-00 pen), P Hughes (0-05), Kyle Cawley (1-00).

Subs: L Henry for Harrison (23), C Breheny for Marren (35, black), C Henry for Gaughan (63), J Kelly for Maye (74, black).

Referee: Joe McQuillan (Cavan).