Cork 3-10 Roscommon 4-25

Roscommon trounced Cork in Páirc Uí Rinn by 18 points to continue their winning streak on the road after defeating Kerry away from home in the previous round.

Roscommon were inspired by Ciarán Murtagh, who scored 2-04 for his side as they led from early on.

Cork opened the scoring but Roscommon dominated, going 0-5 to 0-2 ahead after 12 minutes.

Peter Kelleher’s equalising goal was as good as it would get for Cork in the opening half as Roscommon powered clear.

Roscommon had 10 scorers in the opening half, ending up with 12 by the final whistle, as all the forwards were in the mark in the opening 30 minutes.

Goals from Senan Kilbride and Cathal Cregg helped them to 2-13 to 1-07 lead at the interval.

The second half saw the Connacht men almost double their opening-half tally as Murtagh fired in both goals for Kevin McStay and Kelleher and Luke Connolly responded for the Rebels.

Cork opened the scoring courtesy of Daniel Goulding’s point but the Rossies' greater pace put Cork under pressure and Conor Devaney landed the first of three points from play in the opening half.

Further efforts from Murtagh, Cregg and Connolly gave the visitors a three-point lead but the game was level on 13 minutes when Mark Collins found Tomas Clancy, who passed it across the square for Kelleher to punch into the net.

This was to be a brief respite for a Cork team that struggled badly when Roscommon attacked thorough the middle.

Kilbride got his side’s first goal on 15 minutes - he gathered a high ball, shaking off Eoin Cadogan and firing past Ken O’Halloran.

O’Halloran struggled with his kickouts, giving Roscommon ample attacking opportunities, and they made the most of it with Devaney, Kilbride and Enda Smith taking advantage.

Smith, in particular, fired over an impressive point from 50 metres.

Roscommon’s second goal arrived on 28 minutes when Cregg passed to Ian Kilbride before gathering it again to make it 2-11 to 1-6.

Cork were relying on pointed frees from Goulding but even in the first half they were already consolations.

The second half saw Roscommon remain completely in control as Murtagh scored his first goal of the game on 37 minutes.

The points were going over the Cork crossbar from all angles, Cregg proving very accurate with 0-05, much to the delight of the large Roscommon crowd in attendance.

Cork pulled a goal back on 42 minutes courtesy of Kelleher when he scored following Hurley’s assist but the home side never looked like mounting a comeback as they struggled to leave their half for long periods.

The visiting fans had further joy on 54 minutes as Murtagh hammered in from close range to send Roscommon 4-21 to 2-08 clear.

On 66 minutes Connolly scored a late consolation goal but it was never going to stop Roscommon celebrating a famous victory on Leeside.

For Cork, thoughts now turn to Dublin in Croke Park next Saturday while Roscommon face Down at home next Sunday seeking to keep their winning momentum going.

Cork: K O’Halloran; J Loughrey, E Cadogan, C O’Driscoll; T Clancy, M Shields, B O’Driscoll; A O’Sullivan, I Maguire; M Collins, P Kerrigan (0-01), L Connolly (1-03, 0-01 45, 0-01 free); D Goulding (0-04, 0-03 frees), P Kelleher (2-00), B Hurley (0-01).

Subs: S Kiely for (36), K Crowley for Shields (36), R Deane for Collins (46), J O’Sullivan for Loughrey (46), C O’Neill (0-01, 0-01 free) for Goulding (49), D McEoin for Hurley (65).

Roscommon: G Claffey; S McDermott, N Collins (0-01), N McInerney; S Purcell, D Murray (0-01), N Daly (0-01); E Smith (0-02), I Kilbride (0-01); F Cregg (0-05, 0-02 frees), C Murtagh (2-04), C Devaney (0-04); C Connolly (0-02, 0-01 free), S Kilbride (1-01), C Cregg (1-02).

Subs: C Daly for Daly (25, Blood sub), R Daly for Cregg (54), R Stack for Purcell (58), J McManus for Murray (60), C Shine (0-01) for F Cregg (60), C McHugh for Murtagh (63), B Murtagh for McManus (64)

Referee: D Coldrick (Meath)