Mary Immaculate College dug deep to deliver Fitzgibbon Cup honours after an extra-time battle with UL to record a 1-30 to 3-22 win at the Cork IT venue.

The sides were level on 11 occasions in normal time, including six in the opening half, with the teams tied at 1-06 to 0-09 at the interval.

UL’s goal arrived in the first minute from Tom Morrissey, but Mary I stormed back with four unanswered points from Declan Hannon, and while UL worked hard, they never led during the first half.

That changed early after the restart, thanks to a Kevin Hehir score, but a rocket of a goal from Hannon put Mary I back in front.

UL responded with a John McGrath goal, but Mary I moved four points ahead, and UL had to dig deep with a Tommy Heffernan point forcing extra-time.

UL outscored Mary I by four points to one early on the restart, but a Heffernan score shaded a 3-18 to 1-23 interval lead.

Limerick man David Reidy impressed for Mary I on the restart, with Stephen Cahill and Hannon also on target.

The sides were tied at 3-22 to 1-28 at half-time in the second period of extra-time, but Mary I held UL scoreless on the restart, with points from O’Donovan and Lynch ensuring Richie English lifted the Fitzgibbon Cup afterwards.

UL: P Maher; G Ryan, J Browne, S Roche; B Heffernan, J Forde (0-1), B Stapleton; A McGuane (0-2), K Hehir (0-2); D Fitzgerald, J McGrath (2-7, 6f, 1 65), C Martin (0-2); C McInerney (0-1), T Morrissey (1-1), K O’Brien. Subs: T Heffernan (0-6) for Fitzgerald (41); G Hegarty for Stapleton (43); A Murphy for O’Brien (57); M Casey for Hegarty (60); P Ryan for Forde (60); B Maher for McGuane (72); PJ Scully for Murphy (85).

MARY IMMACULATE COLLEGE: M Ó Conghaile; E Quirke, R English, A Ryan; R Maher, T Stapleton, J Meagher (0-1); C Galvin, D O’Donovan (0-3, 1f); S Linnane (0-3), C Lynch (0-5), D Reidy (0-3); D Hannon (1-12,10f), N O’Meara, D Corry (0-1). Subs: M O’Nell for Galvin (41); T Gallagher (0-1) for Corry (50); S Cahill (0-1) for O’Donovan (53); C Keane for Meagher (62); D Corry for Quirke (FT); S Linnane for Gallagher (75); T Gallagher for Hannon (80).

REFEREE: James Owens (Wexford).