Dublin 1-17 Galway 0-13

Allianz Hurling League form apparently counted for nought at Parnell Park where Dublin overcame their opening-round setback against Tipperary to record a comfortable win over old rivals Galway in Division 1A.

A week after going down by 14 points in Thurles, Ger Cunningham's side eked out an impressive win thanks largely to David Treacy's 10 points.

Fellow forwards Eamonn Dillon and Niall McMorrow were excellent too as the Dubs overcome Galway for the second time in a matter of weeks following their Walsh Cup semi-final win at the same venue.

It was a bad evening for Galway who ultimately lost the game during the third quarter when they were outscored by 1-05 to 0-01 in a decisive spell.

Galway also lost veteran defender Fergal Moore to a first-half injury while talisman forward Joe Canning was surprisingly taken off at half-time.

The result was all the more unexpected as Galway performed soundly in their opening game in the campaign, beating Cork by six points.

Dublin shook their team up beforehand, making three changes to the official lineout. Darragh O'Connell and Daire Plunkett came into the team at midfield with Sean McGrath in attack while Shane Barrett, Shane Durkin and Colm Cronin all missed out.

There was a change for Galway too as, for the second weekend running, Daithi Burke was named to play in defence but didn't actually start, Moore this time coming in instead.

This was the seventh meeting of the teams in a little over 12 months and back in November sparks famously flew during the Fenway Classic Super 11s tie when a melee broke out.

So another keen contest was anticipated and both sides duly delivered with Dublin edging an intriguing first-half thanks in part to six points from placed ball specialist Treacy.

Dublin looked sharp and highly motivated after their big loss in Tipperary and the likes of David O'Callaghan and Dillon buzzed with intent.

McMorrow picked off two points from the half-forward line also and Dublin deservedly led by 0-10 to 0-07 at half-time.

Canning scored five of Galway's points but four of them came from placed balls and he was subdued generally as the visitors found it difficult to pick up possession in the vital middle third.

The game was effectively decided early in the second-half when Dublin put up that 1-05 tally in the 16 minutes after the restart. Sean McGrath scored the 46th minute goal after a lay-off from Mark Schutte and Dublin were 10 clear with 20 minutes to go.

Galway battled gamely and free-taker Cathal Mannion, David Burke and Andy Smith were on the mark with late points but it was only consolation.

Dublin: C Dooley; E O'Donnell, C O'Callaghan, O Gough; C Crummey, L Rushe, J McCaffrey; D O'Connell (0-01), D Plunkett; S McGrath (1-00), N McMorrow (0-04), D Treacy (0-10, 0-09f, 0-01 65); E Dillon, D O'Callaghan (0-01), M Schutte.

Substitutes: C Cronin (0-01) for McGrath, S Treacy for O'Callaghan, J Madden for McCaffrey.

Galway: J Skehill; F Moore, J Hanbury, P Hoban; P Mannion, G Lally, A Harte (0-01); David Burke (0-01, 0-1f), A Tuohy; P Brehony (0-01), C Mannion (0-03, 0-02f, 0-01 65), N Burke (0-01); C Whelan, J Canning (0-05, 0-04f), D Glennon.

Substitutes: C Flynn for Moore, J Cooney for Canning, A Smith (0-01) for Lally, D Collins for Tuohy. P Claffey for Hanbury.

Referee: F Horgan (Tipperary).