Galway 3-12 Laois 1-10

Damien Comer fired two goals as Galway waltzed to a Allianz Football League Division 2 victory over a poor Laois at O'Moore Park.

Laois never recovered from a missed Donie Kingston penalty in the third minute as goals from Adrian Varley and Comer gave Galway a 2-6 to 0-1 lead at the break.

Comer punched his side's third goal in the second-half and substitute Daniel O'Reilly found the net for Mick Lillis' side, but they were outclassed by the Tribesmen.

The hints of what was to come were there to be seen from the first minute as Varley won possession in the full-forward line, cut in from the end line and fisted the opening score.

However, the outcome could have been a lot different had Laois taken the early chances that came their way.

The first arrived in the third minute when the industrious Evan O'Carroll was fouled inside the big rectangle. But Galway were saved by goalkeeper Thomas Dolan who dived full length to his left to turn Donie Kingston's penalty around the post. The ensuing 45 also went wide of the post, one of six Laois wides in the opening half.

But at the other end, playing into a strong wind, Galway were far more impressive – especially Varley and Damien Comer in the full-forward line.

Three minutes after the missed penalty at one end Galway fired their opening goal at the other. The move started when Liam Silke gathered a loose kick-out from Grahan Brody, and after Fiontain Ó Curraoin, Eddie Hoare and Eamon Brannigan delivered some quick handpasses, the ball fell to Varley and he fired past Brody off the ground.

The space that opened up in front of the Laois full-back was well exploited by Galway and Eddie Hoare kicked his first point after Ó Curraoin drove through the centre for Galway in the tenth minute.

Three minutes later Laois finally got on the scoreboard when Kinsgton kicked a free from close range, but Galway continued to dominate. At times Galway looked to be playing too much possession football at the back and on a few occasion Laois almost intercepted the ball, but once they worked their way out of trouble the chances often flowed at the other end.

Corner-back David Wynne scored a point for the Tribesmen on one such rampage from the back to make it 1-3 to 0-1, and a couple of quick points from Comer and Hoare gave Galway a seven-point lead.

But in the 20th minute Galway's second goal was the killer blow. A long delivery in to Comer was well gathered by the Annaghdown clubman and once he shook off David Seale, his low finish gave Brody no chance.

That goal prompted Laois to tighten up at the back with the introduction of Kieran Lillis and the employment of a sweeper in front of the full-back line, but it was too late at that point.

Laois manager Mick Lillis made four changes at half-time and they certainly made an impact in the second period, the only problem was that Galway added three points at the other end before they had found their feet.

Laois got the score they needed in the 43rd minute when substitute Daniel O'Reilly found the roof of the net after Donie Kingston's initial shot was well blocked.

Donie Kingston and another substitute Gary Walsh tagged on two points for Laois to put nine points between the sides, but Comer soon stretched the lead to double figures again when he fisted the ball to the net for the Tribesmen to make it 3-9 to 1-3.

From that point it was an easy run to the line for Galway, who will be delighted to get their Division 2 campaign off to such a straightforward start.

Galway: T Dolan; D Wynne (0-01), D Kyne, E Kerin; L Silke, G O’Donnell (0-02), J Heaney (0-01); P Conroy (0-02), F O Curraoin; T Flynn, E Hoare (0-02, 0-01f), E Tierney; D Comer (2-02), A Varley (1-01), E Brannigan (0-01).

Subs used: S Walsh for Brannigan (50 mins), P Cooke for Hoare (55 mins), P Mannion for Varley (62 mins BC), S Denvir for Kerin (70 mins), A Kyne for Heaney (70 mins).

Laois: G Brody; R Kehoe, M Timmons, D Seale; D Strong (0-01), P Cotter, G Dillon; K Meany, J O'Loughlin; J Farrell, D Kingston (0-03, 0-02f), N Murphy; P Cahillane (0-03), E O'Carroll (0-01), A Farrell.

Subs used: K Lillis for Seale (25 mins), P Kingston (0-01) for Murphy (h-t), G Walsh (0-01) for A Farrell (h-t), D O'Reilly (1-00) for O'Loughlin (h-t), T Collins for J Farrell (h-t), D O'Connor for Dillon (62 mins).