Kilkenny fielded none of their All-Ireland senior winning team, as Eddie Brennan’s Under-21 side squandered a six-point lead, for DIT to claim a 4-14 to 0-16 victory at the MW Hire Training Centre in Dunmore.

Goals were key to this DIT win, with two arriving in either half, as green flags from Wexford duo Conor McDonald and Jack Guiney helped DIT to a 2-05 to 0-09 interval advantage.

McDonald and Cian O’Donoghue further breached the Cats rear-guard in the second half, as DIT claimed a 10-point victory.

DIT led by 0-02 to 0-01 early on, but the students were suddenly on the back foot, as the young Cats launched a firm comeback.

The hosts powered to a 0-09 to 0-03 lead after 28 minutes, with Michael Kenny, Gary Tynan, Eoin Brennan and Ciarán Ryan among their scorers.

DIT broke a 16-minute scoring dead-lock, as a point from Jack Guiney cut the gap six minutes before the break, and finished strongly with an unanswered 2-02.

Cats free-taker Kenny cut the gap to two points on the restart, before McDonald netted his second goal in the 43rd minute.

DIT led by three points entering the final quarter, and although Kilkenny worked hard, O’Donoghue netted against his native county on the way to a well-earned win.

Galway led throughout as Micheal Donoghue’s charges claimed their second win in four days, with a 1-21 to 1-12 victory over student rivals NUI Galway at Duggan Park, Ballinasloe.

Joe Canning (0-09); Brian Molloy (1-02), Éanna Burke (0-05) and Padraig Brehony (0-04) were among those who impressed, as the Tribesmen put themselves in pole position for a semi-final place, with Westmeath their opponents in a final group game next Sunday. 

Canning bagged four first-half points, while Molloy netted Galway’s only goal, as Galway claimed a 1-10 to 0-08 interval lead.

Molloy’s goal helped the Tribesmen to a 1-06 to 0-04 lead midway through the half, after Aidan Harte had sent a long ball into Canning, who fed Molloy from a hand-pass for the corner forward to finish past NUIG keeper Cathal Tuohy.

Clare’s Bobby Duggan (1-09) kept the students in touch with seven of their eight first-half scores, with Galway native Cathal Mannion claiming the students other score before the break.

Duggan brought his tally to 1-09 with a goal, 18 minutes after the restart after being set up by Conor Whelan.

Canning and Gerard Forde traded points to ensure a 1-14 to 1-11 score-line, but Forde’s score was NUIG’s last of this game, as Galway finished strongly with further scores from Canning, Brehony and Burke to claim a nine-point win.