Dublin always looked comfortable as they claimed a 3-24 to 2-08 win over IT Carlow at Russell Park, Blanchardstown.

Cormac Costello fired 2-06, with Paddy Andrews netting the hosts other goal on the way to a comfortable win.

Dublin were hugely dominant in the opening quarter, and led by 0-07 to 0-00 after 11 minutes, with IT Carlow only getting past midfield once during that spell.

The students worked hard and eventually broke through as the game entered the second quarter, with Kildare native Mark Sherry registering their first-half goal.

A seven-point gap was as good as it got for IT Carlow, as Dublin kicked on with Costello and Andrews firing goals before the break, as Jim Gavin’s men claimed a 2-16 to 1-02 interval lead.

IT Carlow worked hard, but Costello completed Dublin’s hat-trick seven minutes after the restart, slotting home his second goal from a penalty, after Adam Caffrey was fouled.

This helped the hosts to a 3-18 to 1-03 advantage, and they pushed 23 points clear entering the final quarter, thanks to scores from Michael Deegan and Costello.

IT Carlow never gave up, with Chris Healy netting their second goal, but it came too late.

Dublin will face a winner takes all Round-3 clash next Sunday with DCU in search of a semi-final spot, after the students claimed a 1-08 to 1-03 win over Wexford in Enniscorthy.

Aided by a strong wind, DCU lead Wexford by 0-08 to 0-01 at the interval and kicked on in the second half.

Laois continued their winning ways under new boss Mick Lillis, with a 1-16 to 1-09 win over Carlow.

The hosts trailed by 1-04 to 0-02 after 16 minutes, with John Murphy netting an early goal, but Laois registered 1-07 without reply, with a Paul Cahillane goal helping them to a 1-09 to 1-04 interval lead.

Substitutes Darragh Foley and Jack Kennedy worked hard for Carlow, but Laois kicked on for a seven-point win.

Louth claimed a 2-11 to 0-08 win over Kildare in Hawkfield.

The visitors started strongly, and led by 2-04 to 0-02 early on, with Jim McEnaney and Barry Flanagan netting their goals.

Kildare struggled for scores in the second half, with a Cathal McNally point their first score of the half, with seven minutes left on the clock.

Louth led by 2-10 to 0-06 at this stage, and although outscored in the closing stages had firmly done enough for victory.

A late Denis Corroon point saw Westmeath claim a 0-14 to 1-10 win over Longford.

Wind-assisted Longford led by 1-10 to 0-03 at half-time, with Michael Brady netting a 16th-minute goal, but Westmeath turned the tables.

Westmeath were held to just two points in the opening quarter - both coming early on, as scores from Ger Egan and Shane Dempsey had the sides tied at 0-02 apiece after seven minutes.

However, Longford were hugely impressive, and moved 10 points clear at the break, with Brian Kavanagh among their scorers.

But Westmeath made full use of a strong win on the restart with Corroon the hero.

UCD made a strong comeback as they claimed a 2-08 to 0-11 win over Meath in Simonstown.

Meath led by 0-08 to 1-03 at half-time,with Donal Lenihan, Andrew Tormey and Sean Tobin among the Royals scorers, but the students worked hard on the restart. 

Goals in either half helped DIT to a 2-11 to 0-10 win over Offaly at Dunganny.

DIT led by 1-06 to 0-03 at half-time, with Ryan Connolly netting their opening goal.

Maynooth University were 1-15 to 0-9 winners over Wicklow in Ballinakill.