Ballygunner 0-19 Glen Rovers 1-09 

Waterford champions Ballygunner staged a magnificent second hand comeback to advance to the Munster Club final, outscoring a stunned Glen Rovers by 0-16 to 1-01 during a remarkable turnaround at Walsh Park. 

Denis Walsh’s side, who, by their manager’s own admission ‘hadn’t really cut loose’ over the course of the county championship, threw off the shackles after the break to stun the Glen, who were featuring in their first provincial campaign in 26 winters. 

Spearheaded by the unerringly accurate Brian O’Sullivan, and with Deise veteran Shane O’Sullivan in rare form after the interval, Ballygunner produced one of their best displays for several years to send the Cork champions packing.

But no-one could have seen this coming at half-time when the Cork champions led by 0-8 to 0-3 and were good value for it. 

Patrick Horgan, who made light of the testing conditions after heavy overnight rain, opened the scoring with a ‘65’.
Having struck four wides by the ninth minute, the Glen failed to make their midfield dominance count on the scoring front but edged in front on the quarter-hour thanks to a superb effort from Horgan.

Red cards were issued to Ballygunner’s Philip Mahony and Glen Rovers’ Dean Brosnan in the 21st minute, and between then and the break, the Glen, primarily through Horgan, extended their lead to five points.   

But the second half was all about the Gunners, who were back on level terms by the 39th minute, as O’Sullivan ruthlessly punished the Glen’s indiscretions with a series of frees.  

Ballygunner’s attack caught fire in a ten-point streak, landing several superb scores from distance through Shane O’Sullivan and substitutes Stephen Power and Conor Sheahan. 

A stunned Glen managed only 1-1 after the break, with Horgan’s 50th minute goal a thing of beauty, as he doubled Dave Noonan’s sideline cut beyond the hapless Stephen O’Keeffe.  

Ballygunner: S O’Keeffe; E Hayden, B Coughlan, I Kenny; S Walsh, D O’Sullivan, P Mahony; H Barnes (0-01); Shane O’Sullivan (0-02); P Hogan (0-02), Barry O’Sullivan, B O’Keeffe (0-01); C Power, T O’Sullivan (0-01), Brian O’Sullivan (0-09; 0-7, 0-1 65). . 

Subs: S Power (0-2; 0-1 65) for P Hogan (14), JJ Hutchinson for T O’Sullivan (45), Sean O’Sullivan for C Power (59), C Sheahan (0-01) for B O’Keeffe (61).   

Glen Rovers: C Hickey; B Murphy, S McDonnell, G Moylan (0-01); D Dowling, B Moylan, G Callanan (0-01); D Cronin, D Noonan; D Brosnan, P Horgan (1-5; 0-3f, 0-1 65), D Cunningham; C Dorris (0-01), B Phelan (0-01), D Busteed. 

Subs: A O’Donovan for B Phelan (47), L Coughlan for D Busteed (52), G Kennefick for C Dorris (57).   

Referee: Johnny Murphy (Limerick).