Castlebar Mitchels 3-08 Clann na nGael 0-13

Two goals in the first four minutes were the difference as Castlebar Mitchels eased their way into the Connacht club football final for the second time in three seasons.

Richie Feeney and Barry Moran struck the early goals for the Mayo champions and nine points from the boot of Donie Shine for the Rocommon club wasn’t enough as a third goal before the interval from Danny Kirby gave Mitchels enough to get over the line.

Right from the start Clann were playing catch up when a quick free form Kirby sent Richie Feeney in on goal and he finished well after 50 seconds play.

Three minutes later the beaten 2014 All-Ireland club finalists rattled their second goal of the game from Moran. The finish might not have been as crisp as the first, but the slick passing in the build-up and the final, killer ball from Feeney made the score.

Clann na nGael didn’t get their first point until the seventh minute when Jamie Fahy clipped over a free, but when Eoghan O'Reilly kicked two in response for the Mayo winners their lead was seven points after 12 minutes.

But credit to Paul Curran's side, they began to gain a foothold in the game, and with the frees totting up the soon cut the deficit.

Shine kicked three good frees in the space of five minutes which made it 2-2 to 0-4 by the 21st minute. But less than 60 seconds later they were undone by the sharp thinking Castlebar Mitchels forwards again. 

A quick free from Moran found Feeney in space and after he picked out Neil Lydon, who unselfishly laid on their third goal for Kirby who finished well.

Yet, once more Clann na nGael responded with four points on the bounce and trailed by just for - 3-3 to 0-8 - at the interval.

Shine's freetaking kept Clann in the tie though and three minutes after the restart he had made it 3-3 to 0-10 with another two dead balls. 

But the Mayo champions are a determined bunch, and with their lead down to two points they kicked on again.

They landed three points without reply to take control with 15 minutes remaining, but Shine hit back with a free and great score from play to put four between the teams with five minutes to go.

Once the splendid Harney was denied by Tom Cunniffe and keeper Rory Byrne with three minutes remaining there was no way back for Clann na nGael, who must be satisfied with their first county title since 1996.

Castlebar Mitchels: R Byrne; T Cunniffe, A Feeney, D Newcombe; P Durcan (0-01), E O'Reilly (0-02, 0-02f), R O'Malley; G McDonagh, B Moran (1-00); S Hopkins (0-01), N Lydon, A Walsh; N Douglas (0-01, 0-01f), R Feeney (1-00), D Kirby (1-01).
Subs: S Conlon for O'Malley (5-10 mins blood), C Costello (0-01) for Walsh (36 mins BC), J Durcan (0-01) for Hopkins (46 mins), F Durkan for Lydon (51 mins), S Keane for Douglas (59 mins), R Burke for Kirby (61 mins BC).

Clann na nGael: R O'Reilly; R Gavin, D Flynn, S Pettit; J Connaughton, G Pettit, F Lennon; C Shine (0-01), D Shine (0-09, 0-08f); E Kenny, U Harney (0-02), M Scally; J Fahy (0-01, 0-01f), R McManus, J Dunning (capt).
Subs: S Flynn for S Pettit (25 mins), C Callinan for Scally (25 mins), D Pettit for Kenny (h-t), D Connaughton for McManus (41 mins), R Naughton for Fahy (52 mins), A O'Reilly for Dunning (60 mins).

Referee: John Gilmartin (Sligo).