Navan O'Mahonys 0-13 Na Fianna 1-08

Former All Star Stephen Bray kicked the insurance point as Navan O'Mahony's held on for a 20th Meath SFC success and back-to-back titles.

Firm favourites O'Mahonys looked set to cruise to an anticipated win when they led by double scores, 0-12 to 0-06, with just three minutes remaining at Páirc Tailteann.

But a 1-02 blast from Na Fianna, 1-01 of which came from teenage talent Ethan Devine, left just a point between the sides in injury-time. 

Na Fianna couldn’t find the equalising score though and Bray, who recently retired as a Meath player, capitalised on a 63rd-minute O’Mahonys break to kick his fourth point of the game and put two between them again.

However it was far from a vintage display and boss Davy Nelson will demand an improvement when O'Mahonys play Longford's Killoe, fresh from a five-goal hammering of the Wexford champions, in the Leinster club championship on 8 November.

Ruairi O Coileain opened the scoring for O'Mahonys with a first-minute free, which was soon cancelled out by Na Fianna's Dalton McDonagh.

Stalemate then reigned until the 20th minute with the wet and windy conditions making life difficult for both teams.

A turning point arrived in the 17th minute when Na Fianna were awarded a penalty following Darragh Maguire's heavy challenge on Ollie Lewis.

But instead of striding three clear, Daniel Queeney, who had earlier missed a free from close range, blasted his penalty straight at the O'Mahonys 'keeper.

The near miss appeared to jolt O'Mahonys into action and they responded with three points in the next two minutes, including two more from O Coileain.

Queeney eventually found his range from placed balls with two converted frees for Na Fianna, finalists twice since earning their senior status just three seasons ago.

O'Mahonys hit the interval with a double scores 0-06 to 0-03 advantage, however, and were thankful to Bray for two neat scores.

That lead was doubled by the 40th minute following back-to-back Jake Regan points for the Brews Hill outfit and a first from David Bray, 0-09 to 0-03.

Na Fianna improved briefly and hit back with points from Daniel Queeney, Devine and Barry Clancy but never got any closer than four points in the run-in.

That was until that last-gasp blast of scores that saw them threaten to at least draw but they came up just short as O'Mahonys' experience told.

Navan O'Mahonys: M Brennan; J O'Reilly, N McKeigue, D Smyth; D Maguire, G O'Brien, B Dillon; C McGuinness, K Reilly; R O Coileain (0-03, 0-02f), S Bray (0-04), A Forde; S Gillespie, D Bray (0-01), J Regan (0-05, 0-02 45, 0-03f).

Subs: H Finnegan for Forde, R Maguire for Gillespie, D Moran for O Coileain.

Na Fianna: S Geraghty; J Baldwin, C Cosgrave, J Geagan; M Farley, A Neary, D Henrick; O Lewis, B Queeney; D Queeney (0-04, 0-04f), D McDonagh (0-01), E Devine (1-02, 0-01 45); B Clancy (0-01), J Queeney, C Downey.

Subs: D Barrett for B Queeney, S Barrett for McDonagh.

Referee: Padraig Coyle (Seneschalstown).