Kerry 4-14 Tipperary 0-06

Kerry ace-marksman Conor Geaney hit 2-04 as the Kingdom retained the Electric Ireland All-Ireland Minor title with a 20-point win over Tipperary at Croke Park.

The Dingle clubman, who is a cousin of senior stars Michael and Paul, came into the game as Kerry’s top scorer with 2-23 to his name.

In the first all-Munster minor All-Ireland final, Kerry were 2-08 to 0-04 up at half-time as Bryan Sweeney hit their first goal and Geaney also found the net before the break.

Mark Foley got Kerry’s third and by the time Geaney a fourth the result was beyond doubt.

Manager Jack O'Connor departs to manage the Kerry U-21s now – he brought the minors to successive titles, last year’s win was their first time to lift the Tommy Markham Cup in 20 years.

Kerry dominated the opening half, as they did in the Munster final, but it could have been more after Kerry hit seven first-half wides.

It was 2-08 to 0-04 at the break, Geaney kicked 1-0-3 as they ran into an emphatic ten-point lead.

Sean O’Shea slotted a sensational opener with the outside of his right boot to set the tone after three minutes.

They hit four points before Tipperary got on the scoreboard – Sweeney, John Mark Foley and Geaney were all on target.

Michael Foley could almost found the net when he saw his fisted effort crash against the bar, but Tipperary survived.

Tommy Nolan, one of the Tipp’s eight dual-stars that lost the All-Ireland minor hurling final to Galway, got their first of the day after 15 minutes.

The influential Alan Tynan tagged on his first, as Tipperary brought it back to 0-04 to 0-02 a minute later.

But Kerry were too strong – they hit 2-03 in eight minutes to surge clear. Of course it was Geaney who began the onslaught with his second point of the day.

Sweeney hammered home Kerry’s goal in the 19th minute, he tapped down a high delivery to Sean O’Shea, O’Shea returned the pass and Sweeney made no mistake.

Brandon Barrett quickly added another point, and when Tipperary corner-back Tommy Lowry pushed Geaney in the large rectangle, referee David Gough pointed to the spot.

Geaney stepped up and calmly put Tipperary goalkeeper Charlie Manton the wrong way.

Another point, this time from captain Michael O’Connor, gave Kerry a 2-07 to 0-2 advantage after 25 minutes.

Two wonderful efforts from Tynan kept Tipperary’s challenge alive, but Geaney rounded off the half with a free.

Ross Peters and Jamie Bergin were introduced at the break for Tipperary, but they couldn’t make a decisive impact.

It was all Kerry again – Sean O’Shea quickly slotted their opener from a free and when Brian O Seanachain doubled their second-half tally, the Tipperary heads dropped.

Mark Foley tapped home Kerry’s third goal with 20 minutes left, and Kerry showed their ruthless streak, with Geaney’s penalty four minutes later.

In the meantime, Jack Kennedy added to Nolan’s point as Tipperary sole efforts of the second-half.

But Kerry claimed their 13th All-Ireland minor crown, and inflicted further pain on the Tipperary youngsters.

Kerry: B Courtney; D Brosnan, J Foley, T O’Sullivan; J Morgan, A Barry, G White; M O’Connor (0-01), J M Foley (0-01); B Ó Seanacháin (0-01), S O’Shea (0-02, 0-01f), B Barrett (0-01); M Foley (1-00), B Sweeney (1-01), C Geaney (2-04, 2-00 pen, 0-02f).

Subs: S O’Sullivan (0-01) for Barrett (41 mins), J Duggan (0-02) for M Foley (47), M Breen for J M Foley (47), D O’Brien for S O’Sullivan (48), D O’Shea for Brosnan (55), D O’Sullivan for Morgan (53).

Tipperary: C Manton; T Fitzgerald, J Skehan, T Lowry; D Owens, L Fahy, E Moloney; J Kennedy (0-01, 0-01 ’45), T Nolan (0-02); A Buckley, A Tynan (0-03), C English; S Quirke, B McGrath, B Martin.

Subs: R Peters for Buckley (30 mins), J Bergin for English (30), M Irwin for Fitzgerald (44, black), M Kehoe for McGrath (47), G Whelan for Moloney (53), C Cashman for Martin (57).

Referee: David Gough (Meath).