Dublin 0-20 Galway 1-17

Aidan Harte nailed the 70th-minute leveller to ensure that Galway and Dublin will do it all over again after they played out a 0-20 to 1-17 draw in their Leinster SHC quarter-final clash at Croke Park.

The Tribesmen were behind for most of the second-half but Dublin simply couldn't put them away, drilling seven wides and 12 in the entire game.

And with just a point in it approaching full-time, Galway midfielder Harte capitalised on the Dubs' errant shooting by racing clear through the centre to tie it up and force a quarter-final replay.

Galway will be happiest to escape with the replay as Dublin were three ahead with 16 minutes to go and still led with time almost up.

David Treacy was Dublin's primary scorer with 0-11, while Galway were surprised to see talisman Joe Canning pick up just one point from play and be taken off in injury-time.

Galway claimed a narrow 1-09 to 0-11 half-time lead but will feel it should have been more after a bright start. Twice they were denied goals in the opening half and on both occasions it was rare Peter Kelly lapses that put Dublin in trouble.

Jason Flynn robbed Kelly in the 27th minute and Canning dispossessed the Dubs full-back soon after but both times Galway couldn't find the net.

Canning was off from early on, converting just two points from placed balls in the first-half. Aside from that, he drilled four wides including the ground stroke that somehow missed the net after his steal on Kelly.

Despite their misses, the visitors threatened to pull ominously clear of Dublin when they led by 1-06 to 0-03 after 20 minutes.

Centre-forward Cyril Donnellan caused Conal Keaney plenty of problems and helped himself to two points. Keaney failed to gather possession in the 20th minute and Joseph Cooney raced away with it to drill Galway's goal.

Dublin's response was emphatic though, picking off four unanswered points in two minutes to all but wipe out Galway's purple patch.

Mark Schutte was Dublin's key man up front. His 2014 championship was effectively over after just minutes due to a dislocated shoulder against Wexford.

The powerful corner-forward gave Johnny Coen a torrid time here, scoring two points and contributing directly to three others. Padraig Mannion did a better job on Schutte after the break.

Galway were just about good value for their half-time lead and must have sensed the game was there for the taking, particularly if they could get talisman Canning more involved.

Canning's woes continued, however, with a poor miss from a free after the restart.

Schutte similarly maintained his form for Dublin with another great point, while Treacy and Danny Sutcliffe were also on the mark.

Dublin increased their lead to three with 16 minutes remaining, 0-17 1-11, and were in pole position.

But two Canning points, including his first from open play, reduced the margin to the minimum again. And the sides were level three times in the run-in as Galway simply refused to wilt.

They will meet again on Saturday in Tullamore (4.45pm) for the right to play either Laois or Offaly in the next round. 

Dublin: A Nolan, C O'Callaghan, P Kelly, S Durkin, C Crummy, C Keaney, S Lambert, J McCaffrey (0-01), R O'Dwyer, D Sutcliffe (0-03), C Cronin, L Rushe (0-02), D O'Callaghan, M Schutte (0-03), D Treacy (0-11, 0-08f, 0-02 65).

Subs: M Carton for Kelly, D O'Connell for Cronin, P Ryan for O'Dwyer, S Barrett for O'Callaghan.

Galway: C Callanan, P Mannion, J Coen, J Hanbury, D Collins, I Tannian, G McInerney, J Cooney (1-00), A Harte (0-02), A Smith (0-01), C Donnellan (0-03), J Glynn, C Mannion (0-03), J Canning (0-06, 0-04f, 0-01 65), J Flynn (0-02).

Subs: G Lally for McInerney, P Brehony for Cooney, D Burke for Smith, P Killeen for Tannian, N Healy for Canning.

Referee: James McGrath (Westmeath).