A 48th-minute goal from Patrick Maher provided the platform for victory as Ireland claimed a 1-15 to 0-14 win in this afternoon's Senior Shinty-Hurling International at Bught Park, Inverness.

Leading by six points following the opening Test at Croke Park last weekend, Ireland were once again pushed all the way, but Michael Walsh's side held Scotland to just one point in the closing 30 minutes as they held out for honours.

GAA President Liam O'Neill was among the attendance of almost 2,000 who watched the game, which was playing in testing weather conditions throughout.

Scotland led by 0-11 to 0-10 at the interval, with Maher's goal the game's only three-pointer, eight minutes after the restart.

Scotland worked hard throughout, but Ireland were impressive with their captain Neil McManus leading the charge.

The Antrim forward scored seven points, including three in the second half as Ireland held out for victory.

The hosts began this game impressively with a two-pointer from Kevin Bartlett after 50 seconds, with Bartlett continuing to punish Ireland with his dead-ball accuracy for the remainder of the half.

Points from McManus and Kilkenny's Richie Hogan handed Ireland the lead after ten minutes, but Bartlett again came to the fore.

The sides were level on three occasions in the opening 40 minutes, with Laois's Cahir Healy; Down's Gareth Johnson and Darragh O'Connell of Kerry also adding to Ireland's account.

Wides mounted up for both sides, while between the posts Laois's Eoin Reilly was outstanding for Ireland, while his Scottish counterpart Stuart MacDonald also put in a tremendous game.

A Glen McKintosh point handed Scotland a 0-11 to 0-10 interval lead, with Bartlett unlucky not to have a goal before the break.

Maher's goal pushed a dogged Ireland ahead by two points on the restart, but once again Bartlett continued to press hard from placed balls.

The Lovat clubman bagged his sixth two-pointer to tie the game at 0-13 to 1-10 in the 51st minute, but Scotland struggled to add further scores.

Ireland led by five points with as many minutes remaining following a McManus score, with Scotland bagging a late consolation point from Conor Cormack.

Scotland pressed hard in injury-time to cut the gap, but Ireland's defence held out to ensure a four-point victory.

After the game Ireland captain Neil McManus received the Marine Harvest Quaiche.

IRELAND: E Reilly, A Graffin, J Tyrrell, B Maher, D English, C Woods, D O'Connell (00-01), E Price, C Healy (00-01), P Divilly, G Johnson (00-02), P Maher (01-00), R Hogan (00-04), N McManus (00-07). Interchange Subs: D Cullen, J Kavanagh, K McKiernan, D McNicholas, N MacAuley.

SCOTLAND: Stuart MacDonald, N Campbell, D Irvine, J Barr, D Cameron, Steven MacDonald, J Hutchinson, S Nicolson, F MacRae, C Cormack (00-01), F MacKintosh, G MacKintosh (00-01), K Bartlett (00-12), L MacDonald. Interchange Subs: C Cruden, L Bain, K MacRae, J MacRae, S MacKintosh.

Referee: Dick Cameron